Exterior Socket - Cable rating?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,

I have one of this

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Exterior/Exterior-Socket-with-RCD-protection/invt/195044

as I need to have access to power from outside of the garage.

Inside my garage, I have a power point.

I plan to remove the cover and also remove the socket holder to access to the brick wall. Then drill a hole to outside. Slide in cable to outside.

Then connect the cable from the Exterior Socket to the internal socket.

My question is, what rating size do I use for the cable between both of them? The box dcoesn't come with any other details.

The garage has its own fuse box, separate from the house's fuse box.

Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
Depends on the power circuit you intend to take the spur from in the garage.
But sounds like your not an electrician, so do you have any knowledge of part p of the building regulation. If not your a naughty boy! :eek:

If the circuit in the garage is part of a ring final or radial circuit then usually it would be appropriate to spur off in 2.5mmsq, assuming typical protective device ratings that are usually found in these type of circuits. You will need to look into this and get back to us.

If the socket you plan to spur from is already a spur from a ring final then you cannot take another spur from it, and will have to feed both outlets from the load side of an FCU, or use an alternative outlet that is directly on the ring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back