Before i look like an idiot when the electrician comes round

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey,

i'm currently in the process of redecorating my whole house, stripping most walls right back. So is a good time to get extra sockets added, some moved etc. I'll be getting a fully qualified electrician - i wouldn't attempt anything myself.

I have a query about the new electric wall hung fire i'm going to get though. It's a typical "wired to a normal socket" type. The fire is going on the middle wall of an old gas fire chimney breast.

My idea was to hide all wires etc. I was hoping the electrician could take a feed from a twin socket (or somewhere else) and fit a FCU local to the fire, and wire the fire into the FCU instead of a plug. Something like:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Ele...ed+Spur+13A+Switched++Neon/d190/sd2777/p86204

Is this possible / safe to do so? Any help or comments would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
if you want to hide the wire for it then i would suggest that a conduit is put in for the cable to pass through in the fireplace
i'm sure your sparks can advise you what he needs putting in ready (1st fix) for him to do the final wiring up (2nd fix)

Thanks for the advice. I'll have a good talk to the electrician when he comes round for the quote.

I just didn't want to sound like an idiot!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back