Electric Garage Door Opener.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Electric Garage Door Opener fitted to a Cardale Single Garage Door, it was fitted about 8 years ago and has now stopped working.
Any idea's what I should check?
I have taken the motor out.
Details:- Lemac 48 Range, PSC Type, 200W, 240V, 800RPM.

The motor has 4 wires,Blue,Black,White and earth.

How can I check this motor?

Regards,
Gaz.

Sponsored Links
There are several things that could have happened here so you need to be fairly confident that you have the competency to check.
Are you sure that it is the motor at fault ie has the mechanism failed/seized and the motor has tripped/blown a fuse (motors below 370W are not normally required to have an overload) or has a limit switch failed or its wiring.
If you suspect the motor then did it try to go at all?There are a couple of test instruments you need to test a motor.An insulation tester is needed to check that none of the windings have failed to earth or each other (single phase motors usually have 2 windings)
Is there a capacitor (like a large cylinder) on the motor as these are common on single phase motors to start them.These can occasionally fail and need to be tested with a capacitance meter.
Also the windings resistance can be tested with a fairly low reading ohmmeter ,the start winding should have a higher resistance than the run winding and are labelled something like U1,U2 & Z1,Z2
If you have not understood any of the above,and are sure it is the motor at fault, then I would suggest you take the motor to a motor repair centre who will be able to test it for you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back