Garage door motor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
'Rollaway' electric operated roll shutter garage door

Are garage door motors low voltage ?
Are garage door motors standard voltage or variable?

Reason: My control box has blown a gasket and it will cost around £300 to replace the electronic control unit and remotes.
The original installers wont tell me over the telephone and say I have to call out an engineer even though they have all the details of the unit.
Guess what!!! they want £135 just to tell me what the output voltage to the motor is. They also wanted £45 for a hand winding handle.... I made one from a piece of hex rod £3

Why do I need to know? To operate it through a transformer via a two way [ Deadmans ] switch. I have both. It's used as a workshop with additional side entrance.
Stopping now as I am beginning to waffle and me fingers are getting sore typing.

Greengrass

Sponsored Links
I don't actually know, but roller shutters are pretty heavy beasts, so I doubt it would be extra-low voltage. The ones I've seen have a pretty big induction motor, you'd need an awful lot of amps.

I have seen 2 lately, both 24v motors, have a squint at the motor there should be a rating plate on it giving the info you need

Hi crystal ball and JohnD thanks for info will try checking the motor plate providing the covering side plate comes off separate from the motor housing or 'crash' it'll fall down. I might be able to support it with a builders accrow I've got. Yes it's a big roller and the motor sits in the end of the roller of course. It winds up manually ok [down quicker] but my arms are getting tired so am training 'er in doors to do it. Can't do much at the moment in middle of re-furbishing the bathroom.

Many thanks and Merry Xmas

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
if its a roller shutter it will be a 240v motor

I ran a supply to a roller door last year and it was a 24v motor controlled from a unit supplied with the door

Thanks breezer and again all others.
I've tempted a friend to help by dangling a six pack in front of him to give me a hand. I'll be taking the plastic cover off which seems to be just a trim cover over the motors end I hope. Still I'll be alright he's the one who will be holding the shutter roll. Nasty b.....d ain't I heh! heh!.

Once again
Happy Christmas to all.

Greengrass

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back