Electric meter and consumer unit - maximum distance between?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at replacing my existing consumer - when I do so I was also going to reposition it. Is there a maximum distance between the electric meter and the consumer unit that has to be complied with? :confused:

Sponsored Links
I am looking at replacing my existing consumer - when I do so I was also going to reposition it.
  • //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part-p
  • What are the 3 different types of domestic single-phase supplies provided in this country, how would you recognise them, and what differences do each make to the requirements for the rest of the installation, particularly any outdoor supplies?
  • How do you propose to isolate your supply so that you can connect up your new CU?
  • How will you deal with any cables which need extending because of the CU move>
  • For a circuit to supply a <thing> (doesn't matter what), how would you go about deciding what cable and protective device to use?
  • Do you understand how the way in which cables are installed affects how much current they can carry?
  • What are the rules concerning cables concealed in walls, partitions and under floors?
  • Do you know the requirements for main and supplementary bonding of extraneous conductive parts?
  • Which circuits must be RCD protected?
  • Explain what tests you would carry out on the installation - please cover the sequence you'd do them in and at what point you would energise the installation, and for each test explain what is being measured, why it is important, how you would carry out the test, and with what equipment, and what sort of results you would expect to get if everything was OK.

Sponsored Links
I am looking at replacing my existing consumer - when I do so I was also going to reposition it.
  • //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part-p
  • What are the 3 different types of domestic single-phase supplies provided in this country, how would you recognise them, and what differences do each make to the requirements for the rest of the installation, particularly any outdoor supplies?
  • How do you propose to isolate your supply so that you can connect up your new CU?
  • How will you deal with any cables which need extending because of the CU move>
  • For a circuit to supply a <thing> (doesn't matter what), how would you go about deciding what cable and protective device to use?
  • Do you understand how the way in which cables are installed affects how much current they can carry?
  • What are the rules concerning cables concealed in walls, partitions and under floors?
  • Do you know the requirements for main and supplementary bonding of extraneous conductive parts?
  • Which circuits must be RCD protected?
  • Explain what tests you would carry out on the installation - please cover the sequence you'd do them in and at what point you would energise the installation, and for each test explain what is being measured, why it is important, how you would carry out the test, and with what equipment, and what sort of results you would expect to get if everything was OK.

Sounds a lot like a question from my last 2391 exam - are you the one that sets them BAS? ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back