electric meter box lock/latch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hoping you guys can help. I need a new lock for my electric meter box. sick of pulling into my road to be greeted by a swinging door on the side of my house!

I ordered one of those standard plastic latches from amazon but it isn't compatible with this door. it seems it would fit perfectly on my gas meter box door though. Please see photos attached, can you please recommend a suitable lock / latch that will be compatible with my door? would rather not fork out on a whole new door unless necessary. thanks :)

door.jpg
inside door.jpg.png
lock.png

Sponsored Links
Hi thanks for replying. I did see that site but no idea which lock I need. I ordered the standard "universal" white plastic kit from another supplier but that isn't compatible. I'll try get in touch with their sales team to see if they can advise...

thanks,

Looks like you'd be better buying a complete new door what with both corners broken off and the lock mounting screw holes damaged too.

Sponsored Links
When mine broke I contacted my electric supplier they replaced it for free.
That was a few years ago though, don't know if they still do.

Yes what non of the kits seem to have is the metal fixing plate that fits across the back of the door to hold the lock mechanism.
Though I suppose if you could get a pattern you could make that bit

Last edited:
What is it with these boxes, you rarely ever see one thats not damaged

They are made out of an injection moulded amalgam of EPS, marshmallow and sh**e?

In the photos it looks exactly like the way that some plastics start to crumble after extended periods of weathering and UV exposure.

I think it's fibreglass resin they make them from which usually lasts about 20 years, then the topcoat breaks down and the fibreglass strands trap dirt and moss and before you know it they either look terrible or drop to pieces.

We have one at our house for the gas meter which is about 20 years old now. We paint it gloss white every 5 years or so and it still looks as good as new.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back