electric oven problem

Well there was no certificate given by the electrician. I had know idea there was supposed to be one. All I have is the quote he gave that I faxed to the insurance company, they sent out a cheque to him.

Sponsored Links
does his letterheading show any qualifications, membership of trade bodies, etc?

There is nothing like that on the letter. He was recommended by a trade supplier and the insurance company approved the quote so I thought nothing of it.

There is a lot to be said for using a well-qualified electrician, preferably one who is a member of a self-certification scheme.

Ask around friends and neighbours to see who they recommend locally.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that rf lighting, I searched the NICEIC site and he is a registered domestic installer, is he required to issue a certificate?
I tried unplugging the water related appliances plus AV setup and it still tripped. I will test with a new oven not yet fitted at my sisters house to find out if its the ovens problem, I hope it is!!!

He has to issue a certificate for every single job he does, and for notifiable work such as in your case he must also notify the local authority building control officer, who will also issue you with a buildings regs compliance certificate.

Have you tried switching off all the MCBs except the one for the cooker and seeing if it still trips the RCD.

One last thing, does the MCB labled 'cooker' definatly switch the cooker off, or is it possible that maybe your electrician has confused the cooker and shower cables while replacing your consumer unit (they usually both use the same sized cables)

Thats interesting, I have never had anything from building control either.
Yes the cooker MCB turns off the cooker only and the shower only stops the shower. I shall try it will all MCBs off bar the cooker. Not right now, people will get mad I expect. Thanks RF.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back