electric oven problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had a new consumer unit installed and the electric oven trips the RCCB when you turn it off, on the oven, at the wall and at MCB which is before the RCCB. Im no expert and puzzled!!! plz help.

Sponsored Links
Hello,
Sorry I don't fully understand your post :oops: .

Do you mean RCD , not RCCB maybe ?

PePPer83 said:
I recently had a new consumer unit installed and the electric oven trips the RCCB when you turn it off, on the oven, at the wall and at MCB which is before the RCCB. Im no expert and puzzled!!! plz help.

Has the cooker had IR tests done on it?

Has the RCD been tested?

If the RCd trips when you switch off at the wall switch, or at the CB in the CU,
then I think your RCd is faulty.

Sponsored Links
Hello,
An RCD will detect an 'imbalance' between phase and neutral ,but does not give overload protection, a MCB gives overload protection.
An RCCB does both.

hello I may have answered my own question but please tell me if im wrong, the RCCB says 30mA, but looking at the pdf manual of the range I have on order it says with a 30mA RCD it may cause nuisance tripping and should be replaced with a 100mA device. Could that be the current problem also?

EddieCurrent said:
Hello,
An RCD will detect an 'imbalance' between phase and neutral ,but does not give overload protection, a MCB gives overload protection.
An RCCB does both.

An RCBO does both.An RCCB is a Residual Current Circuit Breaker ie an RCD

A very common mistake on a split load board, if done by someone inexperienced, is to put the Neutral conductors in the wrong place.

A Split-load board has two neutral bars. One of them is fed direct from the main switch, the other side is fed from the load side of the RCD.

All circuits where the Phase (Red or Brown) pole is fed from an MCB on the main switch must have their Neutral (Black or Blue) fed from the first Neutral strip; and all circuits fed from the RCD side must be on the second.

If your CU was installed by a skilled professional who carried out the correct tests and gave you an Installation Certificate, he will not have made this mistake. Anyone else might have done. This is a common cause of the RCD tripping on a recently-installed split-load. Other causes are more difficult to trace.

p.s. it is better not to install a cooker circuit on the RCD side as it is likely to cause nuisance tripping. On a related point it is better not to have a cooker switch with a plugsocket incorporated.

Your cooker does not need to go on an RCD if your supply is not TT (overheads with your own earth rod) even then the RCD need only be rated at 100mA unless in all cases the cooker switch incorporates a socket outlet then it should be protected by a 30mA RCD

I'm with ricicle

If you can post a pic of your CU and your cooker switch we will have more wisdom for you ;)

HPIM0231.jpg

cooker MCB on left by main switch.
HPIM0234.jpg

Hope these help.

Your cooker is not protected by the RCD but it should be really as the switch has a socket outlet on it.That doesn't help with the original problem though.Are you sure it is the cooker that is operating the RCD?

It only ever trips when you turn the cooker off, cutting all sockets off. Not great for the PC or $ky+. If most other appliances are turned off you can sometimes get away without it tripping, not often tho.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back