Electric radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have moved into a new build property and since using the radiators of my electric central heating, the walls are becoming stained brown just above the radiators. Anyone got any ideas please?

Sponsored Links
Actually I don't smoke but even if I did, this is abnormal and even when I used to smoke, it never happened with gas fired c/h.

As it is new build the paint they used was probably cheaper than cheap. If you repaint the walls with rads on with a good quality paint you will probably find that they stay (white?) at least you won't 'go brown'.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I may have to do that but if it isn't smoking, what causes it? Surely its a design fault. I should be able to sit around smoking giant cigars if I wanted to. I'm not talking about slight staining here. It is very dark brown and is very noticable.

As I say the paint is probably cheap and so just goes brown at the slightest hint of heat, add to that the fact that being a new build there will be a fair bit of dust kicking about which will be drawn to the heater via convection currents and constantly 'thrown' at the wall by it when it is on and you end up with stained walls. Quality paint is more resistant to it.

add to that the fact that being a new build there will be a fair bit of dust kicking about which will be drawn to the heater via convection currents and constantly 'thrown' at the wall by it when it is on and you end up with stained walls. Quality paint is more resistant to it.

Dust can also carbonise at about 80-85 degrees C almost becoming like microscopic soot particles, so the above is the most likely. Try if you could regulate temp of radiator as well.

I have moved into a new build property and since using the radiators of my electric central heating, the walls are becoming stained brown just above the radiators. Anyone got any ideas please?

Chances are it has got an open heating element and it's burning the dust thats being drawn into it. This causes staining on the wall and your heater! Only solution change them for rads with encased elements www.heatandcool.co.uk

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back