Electric Shower 8.5kw or 9.5kw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm replacing my shower which was a 8.5 and I've got mu eye on a 9.5 replacement.

I've checked the shower fuse in the consumer unit and its 40A but i'm unsure how to tell if the wiring is sufficient to up the shower to a 9.5.
I'll attach a couple of photos and hopefully someone will be able to tell.

Cheers :)

Attachments

• IMG_2677.jpeg
    IMG_2677.jpeg
    127.7 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2676.jpeg
    IMG_2676.jpeg
    248.4 KB · Views: 63
Sponsored Links
Looks like 10mm² T&E. 9.5kw will draw around 40 amps. Is it a fuse ,or a circuit breaker protecting the circuit ? Does the circuit have RCD protection ?
Probably worth having an electrician in to take a look ,with a view to uprating the circuit ,and maybe going for a higher Kwatt shower.

Cheers Terry,
It's one of these below.

Attachments

• IMG_2642.jpeg
    IMG_2642.jpeg
    196.2 KB · Views: 55
Do you have any other high current appliances, induction hob etc? Just be careful how large you go if you're on an 80A supply. It is all worked on diversity of course but you would still need to be careful.

Good idea to go to the leccy guys in the leccy forum and ask a few questions .... good chap to ask is @EFLImpudence

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the vote of confidence. :)

Yes, it all looks good.

As Terry said, it looks like 10mm² (stranded earth wire) and new shower is just 4A more so perfectly alright.

The wiring that’s there is about 6inches too short to go to the new showers connector.
Is it possible to extend the cable and if so what’s the best way to do it ?

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back