Is my shower too powerful?......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We've just bought a Triton Trance 9.5kw electric shower from B&Q. We had an 8.5kw Triton Jade before and were told that we would be able to do a straight swap for the new one.

However we installed it yesterday and at first it was fine but now there's no water pressure and it's barely coming out of the shower head.

I've checked the fuse box and the amp says 32A on it, am i right in thinking that the 9.5 is too powerful for this amp? i can't find anything in the instruction book.

any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Working on watts = amps x voltage

9500w / 230v = 41.3A

Now to be honest I aint no sparkamatrcian but, 9.5x3.3=31.odd. so that means you fuse is ok on a 9.5kw shower in borderline terms.

1kw= 3.3 amps, er i seem to remember, if im wrong then i'll be corrected :oops:

;)

Firstly Does the shower blow the main fuse out at R.C.D? Second. do you get a low water pressure warning light come on? If so have you checked hose and main inlet filters. (possible crap stuck to them, blocking flow)

Sponsored Links
I would go with Baxpoti equation. Uprate your fuse/circuit breaker. But before you do that you need a qualified sparks in to ascertain if your existing cable to the shower is large enough to handle the extra power.

Who told you it was a straight swap? The idiot in the shed you bought it from? What do they know, they are not qualified in anything :eek: :rolleyes:

As you now have a more powerful shower, you may find that it needs a higher pressure/flow rate to allow it to operate correctly. They have a low pressure safety device fitted to them that shuts them off if the pressure is too low.

I suspect that you will need at least 1.25Bar working pressure for a shower of this power.

Also as a simple check, check you have opened any stop cock/isolation valve fully after fitting, but make sure you get a sparks in to check the wiring etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back