Replacing 32 amp fuse for 40 amp fuse for new shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 8.5kw Mira shower packed up after 12 years so got a replacement Triton Cara 9.5 kw. However it kept tripping the fuse at the fuse box every few minutes. I rang Triton and was told that the shower needs a 40 - 45 amp fuse. I have a Wylex CU - is it safe to replace the 32 amp fuse with a 40 amp one?

Sponsored Links
Is the cable at least 10mm.sq.?
What is the length of the circuit?
Is the circuit RCD protected?
Do you have a TN or TT earthing system.
What is the capacity of the incoming supply cables?
You need to consider all these factors before deciding is it safe or not.

Depends on the size of cable from CU to shower, and its installation method.
Until these are known, we can't say.

And the 32A 'fuse' which I assume is an MCB was under-rated for the 8.5kW shower, so it's possible that the cable was also being overloaded.

I have a Wylex CU
Is it the 1965 design, or a 2013 model?

It makes a big difference.

Post a photo.

From the information you have given, it is highly likely that the CU, and the cable, and the switch, are not suitable for what you want to do, and that this is not a DIY job.

Sponsored Links
I will post a photo of the 32 amp tomorrow, but from the replies so far it seems that replacing it with a 40 amp isn't advisable. Would it be ok in the short term, say for a week or two? What are the other alternatives? Can a separate shower fuse box be fitted outside the bathroom?

If the existing cable is not safe to carry 40A or 45A, you have a potential fire hazard. So I advise not to consider using for one/two weeks.
We need to know the CSA of the cable, it would also be good advice to have this circuit inspected and tested, so it has been proved it is fit for continued service, also as it is a shower, RCD protection is highly recommended.
What type of wylex box is it, is fused or MCB? I assume the fact you state existing 32A fuse means it is possible that you do have MCBs installed but the key factor is the cable size, it needs to able to carry the required current safely.
Providing there is no derating of cable and the distance run is less than 39m, it is possibly that 6.00mm2 cable on a 40A device would do, using reference method C.
But if an upgrade is needed 10mm2 cable would be recommended.
Even installing a separate shower unit, would still require the correct cable sizes for both supply and load sides.

Depending on your CU, which we don't know, it may be a model which will not accept a 45A MCB

Thanks for all the advice. Electrician came today and cable is thick enough to support a 40 amp fuse so problem solved :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back