electric shower problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The electric shower unit has worked perfectly for 13 months but know the MCB in the CU trips aftger about 5 minutes of use. The temperature setting of the shower has been turned down from high setting to medium but still breaker trips.
Shower is 9.5Kw, breaker is 40A Type C (Chint NB1-63) in CU as recommended by shower manufacturer !. Cable is 10mm2.
Before buying a new shower (as I suspect the heater coils could have gone faulty although the water temp does not alter) any suggestions as what else to check .

jimboy

Sponsored Links
I'm going to suggest that its not very likely that the shower has gone faulty in this way, they don't suddenly fail in the way that they pull 50% more current, they either fail by stopping working or going bang. And you state yourself that the water temp. doesn't alter, kilowatts don't just evaporate ;)

No, I would point the finger at the breaker going faulty, chint is hardly the height of quality, and I would recommend you obtain a new one and swap it out. (though still chint, you shouldn't mix the make of breaker and the make of cu)

I would however question the use of a type C breaker, a shower should be on type B breaker, and correct me if I'm wrong but your post seems to imply that it was a DIY shower install?, would it be right, therefore to assume that you never checked that the Z's were low enough for the breaker you used? ( and the chance of the Z's being too high for a C40 is quite a bit higher than the chance of them being too high for a B40)

I would install a B40 breaker instead, of course this would be notifiable work, but then again, so was installing the shower...

Regards

Adam

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back