electric shower pump under bath safe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my builder proposes to site a new electric power shower pump under the bath, is this safe?

i would have thought not as it would be prone to water leakage, which is dangerous for electrical equipment?

Sponsored Links
It is OK under there but (IMO) not the best place. Most people put it in the airing cupboard.

If it must go uner the bath:
  • Make sure the bath panel is easily removeable or you'll never get to it when/if it goes wrong.
    It will need its own fused connection unit OUTSIDE the bathroom
    The circuit must be RCD protected.

In any case what do you mean
prone to water leakage
A bath shouldn't leak, unless your builder is cr@ap.

If leakage from the bath is enough to be a problem for the pump, the pump will be the least of your worries! Also bear in mind that the pump is already full of water, and the makers will have ensured any electrical conenctions are protected from the wet. And ditto what Taylor says about accessibility - seen too many pumps and their switchgear behind a sealed panel, causes havoc when a fuse goes and you have to rip the bathroom apart.

PJ

Sponsored Links
In any case what do you mean
prone to water leakage
A bath shouldn't leak, unless your builder is cr@ap.

i am thinking of the times when water leaks out from the bath because someone forgot to turn the tap off and water overfills the tub. or when water leaks down the side where the bath seal has become damaged and needs replacing.

the builder says he is going to spur the pump in the hot water cylinder cupboard which also lies in the bathroom, is this a problem as you seem to indicate that there should be a spur outside the bathroom?

i am thinking of the times when water leaks out from the bath because someone forgot to turn the tap off and water overfills the tub. or when water leaks down the side where the bath seal has become damaged and needs replacing.
These things can happen.

But the floor and/or ceiling of the room below will fall down from water damage before the pump is affected.

the builder says he is going to spur the pump in the hot water cylinder cupboard which also lies in the bathroom,

Oh, I guess he is planning to add something to the immersion feed? The immersion should be on a dedicated feed. Also, most immersions are not on an RCD-protected circuit - shower pumps must be.

These things can happen.

But the floor and/or ceiling of the room below will fall down from water damage before the pump is affected.

i am worried that the person in the bath would get an electric shock from the water getting into an electrical item placed under the bath.

a leak from a faulty or old bath seal will make the wall damp and would take a while to damage the wall if not fixed.

overflow of water over the bath tub would soak the floor but may not do serious damage if it is stopped quickly. but an electric shock is instant and can kill immediately.

the flat is on the ground floor and so is the bathroom so it can't fall through anywhere. At least i don't have that to worry about.

Will the circuit you provide for the pump have an rcd?

Will the circuit you provide for the pump have an rcd?

from the replies, it sounds like i will need to put one in as it seems to be required under current regs.

i assume that this would stop the person in the bath getting an electric shock if water gets into the pump?

i am worried that the person in the bath would get an electric shock from the water getting into an electrical item placed under the bath.

a leak from a faulty or old bath seal will make the wall damp and would take a while to damage the wall if not fixed.

overflow of water over the bath tub would soak the floor but may not do serious damage if it is stopped quickly. but an electric shock is instant and can kill immediately.

the flat is on the ground floor and so is the bathroom so it can't fall through anywhere. At least i don't have that to worry about.

Lordy mutley. How do you manage to sleep at night?????

Here's the griff. Your builder is going to do electrical work in a bathroom. Is he qualified to do that? Is he a defined or full scope registered electrician?
If not, how is he going to notify the local authority that he has done this (notifiable) work?

If he isn't registered then he cannot do the work. All (new) electrical circuits in a bathroom now need to be RCD protected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back