Supplementary bonding sounds dangerous!

ah but if you run in front of the train and nearly match it's speed, then jump to avoid getting a shock as the train touches you, you would simply stick to the train and not get squished.. there will be little or no transfer of kinetic energy to you..

Sponsored Links
Me. ? I would bond all exposed metal work and ensure it was connected to the earth.
What do you mean by "exposed"?

In that scenario, how could the tap be "live"?

All pipes and exposed metal surfaces are bonded to each other.
What do you mean by "exposed"?

One of the bonded surfaces is the case of an appliance the cable to which is damaged.

The damage has severed the earth wire in the cable and exposed the copper of the live wire.

The severed end of the earth wire, the end that is connected to the appliance, has come into contact with the exposed Live conductor.
And that is the only circuit in the bathroom? No lighting?

If there are no other earthed items among the bonded items then those bonded items are all live.
That's why I keep asking you what you mean by "exposed". You don't bond conductive parts which are not earthed....

What's the difference between sup bonding and exponential bonding?

Edumicate me. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
In that scenario, how could the tap be "live"?

All conductors connected to Line or Neutral are considered as "Live" so since the "Earth" wire is connected to neutral at some point all wires are "Live"!
Umm something seems wrong there!

But however daft it may seem with the exception of a bathroom shaver socket outlet most metal in the home is either connected to the electric supply or so small not to matter.

So long as it is all connected to the same point then the only problem would be when entering of leaving the house. In the same way as when there is a tram crash you should jump off the tram not step off it.

Once one uses more than one appliance from an isolation transformer then with the exception of Class II and III equipment you need an earth system to reduce chance of a shock or fire.

Thanks for all those very informative replies. So, from what everyone is saying, it seems it is 100% safe to sit in a bath full of water and touch a tap that is live?

Assuming you have a plastic waste pipe and plastic bath, why do you feel that water would make this any more dangerous than sitting in an empty bath?
You're right, I do "feel" it. I know it may not be logical. But it's counterintuitive that it's safe to touch a live source when you're soaking wet. Are you saying it IS safe then? Would you do it? I'm genuinely interested to know, not trying to score points, and I appreciate all the thoughtful input so far.

just remember to let go of the tap when the AC voltage is crossing zero, or you might still be charged to 240V when you step out of the bath... ;)

But however daft it may seem with the exception of a bathroom shaver socket outlet most metal in the home is either connected to the electric supply or so small not to matter.
I'm sitting here looking at quite a lot of metal - none of it is connected to the electrical supply.

I hope. As it's Spur uprights and shelf supports....

I used to have some coffee tables that were metal and glass - they weren't connected to the electrical supply either.

:D

hmmm my desk has metal legs, and I'm using numerous appliances on it :eek:

Clamps don't go around square legs very well either :cry:

Surely that steel band will tighten onto something square just as well as round?

I suppose I'll have to drill a hole in my filing cabinet though, and bolt an eyelet to it. Do you think the drawers will get a good enough connection via the runners, or should I fit some flyleads?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back