Supplementary bond to junction box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dis is getting to be a habit!

Although towel rail is possibly on the blink (see early post) am continuing with planned work and installing supplementary bonding or at least putting in missing bits (to light and towel rail circuits) .

Said towel rail is on a spur which breaks into ring via a 30A junction box, box is under floor near to FU, am I ok to connect bond (4mm) to this, saves me hacking out plaster to get to FU.

Also noted FU has no earth to metal back box - does it have to have one?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is it an electric heated towel rail? If so, why does it need supp. bonding? It's earthed isn't it?

One of us as got this wrong and I am trying not to get confused! I am working to 16 edition since to my understanding 17 effects other areas which I dont want to get involved with Ok it could be me but please confirm how your views tie in with

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=130912

also

http://web.archive.org/web/20051231060046/http://www.niceic.org.uk/downloads/NL139supp.pdf

My understanding is that all circuits have to be bonded together whether earthed or not (e.g. also shower and lights which are both earthed) plus pipes. Towel rail casing does not have to be separately bonded towel rail circuit does.

Grateful for any clarification

Sponsored Links
Dont want to make believe I know anything about 17 edition, because I don't but have noted one post for those who want technicalities:-

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=131614

If nothing else in my case lighting is not on RCD so if I understand things correctly bathroom lighting circuit would have to be reconnected in consumer unit, job then becomes notifiable under part P - whereas supplementary bonding does not; bonding in that sense easier/cheaper. I have no idea whether under 17 edition supplementary bond can still be fitted - others will know (?)

Trust if I've got this wrong someone's gonna tell me!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back