Supplementary bonding.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I just had new central heating fitted which includes a radiator in the bathroom. The boiler is in a cupboard in the bathroom and the pipes coming out the bottom are cross bonded together.

I’m wondering if the pipes at the bathroom radiator need supplementary bonding to something or if it is not necessary as the boiler is close by and the cross bonding there takes care of it ?

The current supplementary bonding in the bathroom runs from the pipes just below the bath taps to the pipes just below the basin then out of the room under the floor and connects to the earth in a junction box on the upstairs ring main just outside the bathroom. (Presumably because the shaver socket and extractor fan are on spurs from the upstairs ring.)

If any additional bonding is advisable then I’d like to get it sorted now before I put the bathroom back together.

Any comments ?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Are the circuits in the bathroom protected by RCD?
Is the resistance between extraneous metal work (the pipes and rads, taps etc) greater than 1667 Ω ?

If yes and no then you don't need to add supplementary bonding to the rad pipes.

If no and no then you don't need to add supplementary bonding to the rad pipes.

If yes or no and yes then you do:cool:

Sponsored Links
Are the circuits in the bathroom protected by RCD?
Is the resistance between extraneous metal work (the pipes and rads, taps etc) greater than 1667 Ω ?

If yes and no then you don't need to add supplementary bonding to the rad pipes.

If no and no then you don't need to add supplementary bonding to the rad pipes.

If yes or no and yes then you do:cool:

What are you going on about ? You need to do some research !

I read the wiki, that’s what gave me the impression that bonding the pipes at the radiator would be unnecessary. I just wanted to check that I had interpreted things correctly.

The consumer unit is a split load unit with the ring mains RCD protected while the lights and cooker are not. As the shaver socket and fan take power from the upstairs ring, that means that all electrical items in the bathroom are RCD protected except for the light.

There are no plastic pipes, everything is copper.

I do? So it won't need bonding no matter what differences in potential exist or whether the room circuits have additional protection? Is that what you are saying ricipops?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back