Bathroom supplementary bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just designing the supplementary equipotential bonding in my bathroom.

It contains the boiler in an airing cupboard within the bathroom, my plan was to bond all copper pipes together and to upstairs ring/lights circuits.

Do I need to run a wire to the taps of the shower/bath/sink/toilet/radiatortoo, even though all pipes supplying these locations are simple runs from the pipes that I've bonded at the boiler?

I have no electric shower, just recessed IP68 downlights and a shaver socket (spurred from 3A FCU, and its got inbuilt isolating transformer)

I'd prefer not to run these extra earth wires if it's not strictly necessary as the process would be quite destructive to my bathroom!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Just designing the supplementary equipotential bonding in my bathroom.
Ok. You don't really design it but respond to the situation.

It contains the boiler in an airing cupboard within the bathroom, my plan was to bond all copper pipes together and to upstairs ring/lights circuits.
You need to connect to all circuits of the bathroom.

Do I need to run a wire to the taps of the shower/bath/sink/toilet/radiator too, even though all pipes supplying these locations are simple runs from the pipes that I've bonded at the boiler?
You do not necessarily run wires to the various parts but connect them together effectively - somewhere. Measurements need to be taken between the various parts.
Do you mean the hot water cylinder - or is it a gas boiler?
The pipes will likely not require bonding if they all come from the airing cupboard.

As the airing cupboard is in the room the boiler/cylinder will likely BE your supplementary bonding; there is no point connecting two pipes which have just left a metal boiler/cylinder.

If the circuits of the bathroom have RCD protection AND all circuits comply with the required disconnection times AND the main bonding is in place AND all extraneous-conductive-parts are effectively connected to the MET then NO supplementary bonding is required.

Are all circuits covered by RCDs?

They will all be covered by RCDs, yep. And the main bonding will be in place. Am getting an electrician to test the whole installation and fit the CU, so disconnection times should be verified then.

It is a gas combi boiler. And it will be connected to the upstairs ring already, so nothing really to be gained be adding another earth.

So sounds like I may be OK not doing any supplementary bonding in this case.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back