DO I NEED SUPPLEMENTARY BONDING IN MY BATHROOM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I would like some advice please. My skill level is competent diyer.

I live in a converted flat in a Victorian 1900 building, I have an old electric circuit board, pic attached

I am reffitting my bathroom, removing the old suite and replacing with a new one. In my bathroom I currently have a shaver point, one ceiling light, a sink, bath, toilet and a shower (not electric) and a radiator.

As far as I can see the hot and cold pipes are not Supplementary bonded inside the bathroom.

Is it possible the bonding is outside my bathroom before the hot and cold pipes enter the room? Or is it possible that it was not regulation to have Supplementary bonding when the suite was last installed?

When I replace my suite for a new one will I need to have Supplementary bonding in place? Or is this not necessary if its not in place already?

If I need Supplementary bonding can I do this or should this be done by an electrician?

Currently I have an acrylic bath but I will be changing this for a steel one. Additionally my new sink will have a metal stand and the low level toilet will include a chrome pipe.

Advice would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Do you have an earth cable attached to your gas and water pipes where they enter your property? If so then you probably do not need supplementary bonding.

No sign of an RCD hence supplementary bonding is still required, providing of course your pipework is metallic.
Main bonding is also required for metallic pipework such as water, gas etc where it enters the building.

Supplementary may be carried out in an adjacent location, for example airing cupboard.

Sponsored Links
Supplementary may be carried out in an adjacent location, for example airing cupboard.

Hi I have looked under my combi boiler in the kitchen which is in the room next door to the bathroom. There are some earth wires that look to me like supplementary bonding, but I am no electrician. Picture is attached of pipework under my boiler behind a kitchen cupboard.

Does this mean I already have supplementary bonding? Am I already protected?

No sign of an RCD hence supplementary bonding is still required, providing of course your pipework is metallic.
Main bonding is also required for metallic pipework such as water, gas etc where it enters the building.

Yes pipework is metallic, I am assuming main bonding is already in place?

Can you do a shot in focus with a wider view?

Hi pic one is main photo pic 2 is close detail just left of pic 1.Pic 3 is where the pipes enter through the wall to the bathroom

These are the pipes directly under my boiler I cant get a wider view as the picture is taken from inside a cupboard. Is this clear enough?

The bathroom is located on the other side of the wall to left of image

IF the radiator is NOT electric AND the shaver IS on the lighting circuit then

you should measure the resistance between all metal parts in the bathroom including the light fitting and shaver socket screws.

Assuming a 6A MCB on the lighting circuit -

If the readings are < 1.66&#937; OR > 23k&#937; then you do not need (or already have adequate) supplementary bonding.

IF the radiator is NOT electric AND the shaver IS on the lighting circuit then

you should measure the resistance between all metal parts in the bathroom including the light fitting and shaver socket screws.

Assuming a 6A MCB on the lighting circuit -

If the readings are < 1.66&#937; OR > 23k&#937; then you do not need (or already have adequate) supplementary bonding.

OOPS - big mistake 1.66&#937;

I take it that it wasn't an electrician who installed those clamps, the aluminium warning labels are all over the place (and look to be in places they shouldn't) - dissimilar metals react!

The core needs wrapping around the terminal screw at least, not just shoved down one side - the right-hand side at that !!!! :rolleyes:

They need wrapping around in preferably a clockwise direction, so there is less of a tendency for pushing out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back