supplementary bonding bathroom...another query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bathroom soon to be retiled. No supplementary bonding on anything at the moment. Usual bath (acrylic) plus copper pipes to loo, bath, basin. I understand supplementary bonding needs to include light, the timed extractor and the pullswitch which switches on light and the timed extractor (no isolation switch for extractor is present). In my ignorance, is it possible to supp bond the pipes to the timed fan only and thereby include the switch and the light in the supp bonding?? REASON IS: I dont want to have to lift the floorboards above the bathroom to reach the light and the timed extractor and pipes are all on one wall. i.e. I want to get on with the tiling and not have any surprises when I eventually get an elusive electrician to turn up.

Sponsored Links
Each item of electrical service requires bonding.

So if the fan, shaver, mirror light and main lights feed from one main lighting circuit, you can't 'just' bond the light.

Reason?

If that is disconnected no other item would be bonded, hence why each must be done separately.

Dare I suggest upgrading the CU to 17th with RCD's for the lights and hence unlikely to require supplementary bonding ?

Property ends up with a 17th cert, and you save time and money by not supplementary bonding which by the sounds of it is a days work and £30 worth of cable and clamps.

So if the fan, shaver, mirror light and main lights feed from one main lighting circuit, you can't 'just' bond the light.
100% incorrect :eek:

So John for the benefit of the OP would you agree that supplementary bonding should be run between the terminals of EACH CIRCUIT and all extraneous-conductive parts?

Sponsored Links
So John for the benefit of the OP would you agree that supplementary bonding should be run between the terminals of EACH CIRCUIT and all extraneous-conductive parts?

If 701.415.2, lower set (i), (ii), (iii) is complied with then no.

Reason?

If that is disconnected no other item would be bonded, hence why each must be done separately.

CPC's can be used as bonding conductors meaning only one item on a circuit needed connecting to the local supplementary bonding, not all items (upon verification of continuity of cpc's).

Unlikely to change the CCU in the near future to fit 17th regulations but thanks for the suggestion.

So am I to understand that the copper pipes can be bonded to each other and the earth terminal of the timed fan and thereby this includes all pipes as well as the light switch and light itself in supplementary bonding????

The timed fan is the most accessible of the light switch, light, timed fan so this would be least invasive.

Apologies for hijacking the post but i'm doing a similar project. I have bonded all the pipes in the bathroom together but have not connected the earth wire to the electrical points in the bathroom yet.

I have 4 separate circuits, 1 for the towel rail from the ring main, 1 for the light, 1 for the immersion heater and 1 for the shower.

Am I correct in assuming that the earth wire from the pipes needs to connect to the towel rail flex outlet, then looping from the towel rail to the immersion heater then to the shower and then terminating at the light?

the route you take is your own affair.

every metallic service entering the bathroom has to be bonded to the CPC of every circuit entering the bathroom. Lighting, heating, immersion, shower pump, electric shower, shaver socket, central heating pump etc. You only have to bond each pipe once, and each circuit once. they are al bonded together.

You can do it in an adjacent airing cupboard if convenient. Bond at the point the pipes go through the bathroom wall.

If you use a continuous piece of wire it is less likely to come adrift and lose contact than if you have many cut pieces.

all the connections must be accessible for inspection and test

include metal waste pipes or iron soil pipes if present.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back