Supplementary bonding

I

IainWatson

Hi all,
Hopefully an easy one but have to bulls**t check..............

Refitting a bathroom, have floor and all plumbing ripped out including the rads and htg pipes. There is no sign at all of any previously in situ supp bonding (there was a single tail and bonding strip on the flow pipe to the rad, the tail went into the floorboards - after ripping it up there was a 3inch tail with no other wiring!!!!!!!!)

I can reach the 10mm supp bonding cable which comes up from the kitchen and then goes off to the consumer unit. Can I simply splice into this cable the supp bonding from the bathroom? I can't think why not but then you know what they say, never assume.......check.

Thanks in anticipation,
iain

Sponsored Links
I can reach the 10mm supp bonding cable which comes up from the kitchen and then goes off to the consumer unit. Can I simply splice into this cable the supp bonding from the bathroom?

That cable has nothing to do with supplementary bonding. That cable is for Main Protective Earth Bonding of extraneous conductive parts. It doesn't need to be connected to the bathroom at all.

All the information you need should be here.

TVM - my misunderstanding - thought the equipotential zone had to have a route to earth via the MET,

cheers

TVM - my misunderstanding - thought the equipotential zone had to have a route to earth via the MET

Not in this case. The important thing is that everything within the zone be at the same potential, or as close as is practicably possible, even if that potential isn't necessarily the same as true earth.

Still, less work as you wont have to worry about running any wires back to the MET!

Sponsored Links
Is any electrical work being done in the bathroom?

If so, the bathroom circuits -including lighting - will need RCD protection and no supplementray bonding will be needed (assuming the main earthing is up to scratch).

yes,

power supply to the instant shower - it's 10.5 MW intend to put on a 45A Fuze with 30A/30mA RCD at consumer unit.

normal lights off the extant cct which is on a 5 amp fuze at consumer unit

new power supply to a shaver socket - from the lighting cct.

Wasn't intending to put RCDs in, but........any info is useful

Wasn't intending to put RCDs in, but........any info is useful

But you must comply with the relavent regulations, it is not optional.

Are you a Part P registered electrician or have you notified the local authority that you are doing electrical works in a bathroom?

holmslaw - sweet work that'll be the m just below the k then on the keyboard.

Can anyone tell me when the rule regarding RCDs came in - was that 17th Edn? cos surely that would mean changing the consumer unit when all i'm in fact doing is putting in a new shower using existing cabling (although replacing the insitu RCD), new lights using existing cable (although to be honest I'll have to extend the cable to add 2 downlights) and the only thing I'm actually adding will be the shaver sockets to the existing lighting cct.

No I'm not partP registered - if I was then I'd not need to visit here, so the question regarding partP is silly really - this is a DIY advice forum surely, not a place for folk to show off, be parsimonious or patronising whilst hiding behind noms de plume.

Mr Watson clearly doesn't like reply on here as he has posted same question on DIYDOCTOR today, just got similar reply on there!

In my brief time here it's become dangerously apparent that plenty of people think that simply asking for DIY advice exonerates them from any legalities concerning their intended work.
They get very good guidance on all aspects of what they want to do, including how to do it within the eyes of the law, then moan about the good advice.
Oddballs.

Holmslaw - I entirely appreciated your sense of humour, hence the reply I made to your reply recognising my keyboard buffonery. Shame you had then to go on and add insult to injury by your further statements.

The reason I also printed on the other site was to spread the net of potential advice - not meant as an insult to the fragile egos who appear to inhabit this site.

There's an excellent thread elsewhere on this site about the attitudes of a minority of experts - which summarises far more eloquently than I can how poor the site, or at least this section of it, has become.

The truth of the matter is that electritioning is not rocket science - it is dangerous and technically complex - but those of us who are competent DIYers don't neccessarily have the time outside of our day jobs to learn the life-saving neccessities to sit alongside the more mundane money-saving niceties; which is why we visit here to get clear, concise, correct advice from those whose professional life is dedicated to electritioning. But it isn't rocket science, so it might be a good thing for a few of you to get down off your high-horses, drop your high-handed, self-agrandising, puffed-up, over-inflated super-ego-driven pusillanimous attitudes and resume normal life with the rest of us down here. Remember, if you'd worked harder at school you'd have chosen a different trade.

Feeling the humour now Holmslaw?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back