Supplementary Bonding - Where to bond? (Picture)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to install supplementary bonding in a bathroom for the first time. Despite reading lots of bumph on the subject I am still unsure as to where the best points to bond are without too much cable being on show. (I am assuming this is a matter of opinion). In my drawing the bath, toilet & sink are facing you as you walk in. It is a partition wall with the kitchen on the other side of the wall. The gas meter is in the kitchen behind the bath. I have already installed Main bond from the gas to the water to MET. There is a kitchen socket on the other side of the wall, the earth of which I think I can connect my supp bond too.
I would welcome anyones point of view as to where they think the ideal bonding places should be without having too much cable in view.
Apart from the space behind the bath there is no way through the wall apart from me drilling through.

SupplemetaryBonding.jpg
[/img]

Sponsored Links
I hope you have already read //www.diynot.com/wiki/electric...l_bonding:supplementary_equipotential_bonding

For supplementary bonding in a bathroom, you bond all the metallic services that enter the bathroom, to the earth wire of all circuits that enter the bathroom.

You diagram does not show any sockets, shaver outlets, electric heaters, shower pumps or immersion heaters in the bathroom. So I will guess that the only electrical circuit entering the bathroom is the electric light. So you can take a 4mm G&Y to the earth terminal at the switch or ceiling fitting, and bring this to the pipes. Your picture shows hot and cold water pipes but no radiator pipes or air conditioning ducts. So you just have to bond it to the hot pipe and the cold pipe where they enter the bathroom, or just outside for example in the adjacent room. Having bonded to the hot and cold pipes at point of entry you do not have to join them again, for example at each tap.

You do not show a metal waste pipe or iron soil pipe. if you have either of these they too must be bonded.

Thanks John, I did mention I had already done the main bonding and there is no other electrical appliances (apart from the light). You have answered my main query in that it is sufficient to bond together the hot and cold under the bath (where they enter the bathroom). It is not right that I can connect the 4mm cable to the earth of the kitchen socket? I thought I read somewhere that as long as it connects into the installations earth at some point then it is ok.

That is not correct. it has to bond to the circuits that enter the room. So you must bond it to the lighting circit.

Sponsored Links
No need to include the kitchen socket in the bathroom supplementary bonding.

Thanks John, I have just found where I read it and although it was connected to a socket (outside a bathroom) it was a socket which was feeding something inside the bathroom. This is what I misunderstood.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back