Electric shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know there have been many questions relating to electric showers in the past but i just want to get calrity on a couple of points. I am not planning to do the work myself but being a inquisitive sod i would like to know a little bit about what i am talking about before i call the professionals.

I have just had a new wylex RCD protected consumer unit fitted to replace the wired fuse one i had before. I currently have a 7.2kw shower and want to upgrade it. It is currently on a separate 32A MCB protected circuit with 6mm cable. I have a 60A service fuse as well (no electric cooker), and high water pressure.

Firstly, is the improvement in power that much better between a 9.5kw and 10.5kw shower. It seems to fit a 10.5kw is more costly and would be reaching the max of the consumer fuse.

I am clear that i will have to get 10mm cable installed and an uprated MCB. I am a bit confused as to whether i should have a 40A or 45A MCB as it seems to differ on previous posts. For a start Wylex don't seem to make 45A MCBs (in srewfix at least)

lastly i have seen a 9.5kw shower in Aldi for £50 (2 yrs guarantee). Is there really much difference in performance between a cheap unit and one of the more expensive Mira units, bearing in mind they are fairly simple things, or is it just a brand thing.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I have just had a new wylex RCD protected consumer unit fitted to replace the wired fuse one i had before. I currently have a 7.2kw shower and want to upgrade it. It is currently on a separate 32A MCB protected circuit with 6mm cable. I have a 60A service fuse as well (no electric cooker), and high water pressure.

Shouldn't be too much of a problem considering service fuses can take 2x full load for 15-20 mins, just try and avoid having three fan heaters and a kettle on at the same time though, I'd maybe shy away from the 10+ kw ones though

Firstly, is the improvement in power that much better between a 9.5kw and 10.5kw shower. It seems to fit a 10.5kw is more costly and would be reaching the max of the consumer fuse.

A 10.5kw will give just over a 10% increase in flowrate at a given differenece between input and output temperatures

I am clear that i will have to get 10mm cable installed and an uprated MCB.
Yeah, depending on how its installed, you might get away with a 9.5kw on 6mm, but its going to be quite tight, and the run would have to be short and in free air, possible sometimes, not really recommended though.

I am a bit confused as to whether i should have a 40A or 45A MCB as it seems to differ on previous posts. For a start Wylex don't seem to make 45A MCBs (in srewfix at least)

40A for the 9.5KW, and 45A for the 10.5kw

(or if they are rated at advertised load at 230v, then 45, and 50 respectivly)

TLC don't seem to have a 45A one either, its either 40A or 50A

lastly i have seen a 9.5kw shower in Aldi for £50 (2 yrs guarantee). Is there really much difference in performance between a cheap unit and one of the more expensive Mira units, bearing in mind they are fairly simple things, or is it just a brand thing.
Personally I'd avoid it

Thanks for your help Adam_151, that's much appreciated. Its just nice to have any idea before you get the quotes in

Sponsored Links
cameron_fry said:
Thanks for your help Adam_151, that's much appreciated. Its just nice to have any idea before you get the quotes in

i wouldnt worry about the fuse issue much. its a 40A in mine, 9.5KW shower. there is often shower, cooker + other house loads on at the same time and ts never blown

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back