Upgrading a existing electric shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.

I am wanting to replace an existing Gainsborough 8500 electric shower unit which I am presuming is 8.5kW. The supply to this unit is 10mm cable, surface mounted, approximately 11 metres from the consumer unit protected by a 40Amp MCB with double pole isolating switch in the bathroom.

I have read the postings on cable sizing etc and still find myself confused.

Am I correct in assuming that I can fit a 9.5kW shower on this circuit as it stands or if I change the MCB to 45A I could even have a 10.5kW unit instead?

The current consumer unit is a standard 100A unit. How do I determine how much power is being supplied to the house so I know there will be enough when demand dictates?

I want to avoid having to replace the cable if possible for the obvious reasons and get the best shower unit possible with minimum change.

Thanks for any advice in advance...

Sponsored Links
Yes you are correct - you could fit a 9.5kw shower using the 10mm^2 cable and with an MCB upgrade a 10.5kw shower too.

There's no definite way to determine the size of the main fuse without actually breaking the seals but for the short length of time a shower is on there should be no problem because the main fuse can take a fair bit over the rated capacity for more than enough for you to finish in the shower.

Davy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back