ELectric Supply to storage shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
I have constructed a storage shed to which I have run a 25 metre 2.5mm 3 core SWA cable underground.
I want to install one double socket and two 58W fluorescent strip lights.
The SWA cable comes from a 16A MCB in the RCD protected side of my Consumer Unit. I have a TNS supply (I'm pretty sure) it's definitely not a TT supply.

I want to terminate the SWA cable in a metal clad double socket using the third core as an earth and take the supply for the lights from there.
My problem is how to protect the light circuit if at all.

Can I feed a fused spur from the double socket that I install a 6A fuse in - or will I need to install a 6A MCB somehow - with a small enclosure?

Can I feed the 58W strips with 2.5mm twin and earth directly from the socket via a light switch? (pretty sure I can't do this).

Hope you can help - thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Easiest way is to run your lights from a switched fused spur, ran in parallel from the socket and that will act as your lightswitch. Just remember to put the 3 amp (or 5 amp) fuse in.

From your questions, and with respect, you should leave this to a qualified spark.

This work is notifiable under Part P. Please consult the WIKI.

From your questions, and with respect, you should leave this to a qualified spark.

This work is notifiable under Part P. Please consult the WIKI.

Yep I have some other work I've done - and all of it will be checked by a qualified electrician. I just want to know the best way to do what I asked - so I won't have to get him to rewire it all.

I am aware that the standard for this type of installation is to use a small garage type consumer unit - but for a rarely used double socket and some lights I felt there might be a cheaper solution.
i.e. a simple 6A MCB in a small enclosure for the lighting circuit as the socket is already protected by a 16A MCB in the main CU

Sponsored Links
IF you can find a spark to cert work that you have done that's fair enough. most wont, or are not allowed to.

For a solution, djrichie has posted it, above.

Good luck!

Thanks - I have a spark that is willing to come and check this and my workshop I have installed.
I will go with djrichies solution for now.

I appreciate your help,
Damo

He may well check it for you, but is he going to tell your LABC that he did the work himself?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back