Shed Electrics and existing SWA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had an electrician round to do some work in my shed, to replace two double sockets on an existing socket circuit in my shed. The electrician says that the SWA supplying the shed is too small - 4 x 1.5mm to feed a socket circuit in my shed, but is fine for lighting.

He tells me that the cores have been 'doubled' up to make them effectively 2 x 3mm, and the armour? has been used as CPC. The existing fuse board supplying SWA is fitted with a B20 apparently. Within the shed, the SWA feeds a second fuse board with RCD, and a socket circuit B20, and a lighting circuit B6.

The electrician would like to replace the SWA for a larger cable size, and I agree this would be preferable, but is it against regulations to double up in this way?? To replace the armoured would me ripping my house and driveway apart!

Thanks in advance

Kellie

Sponsored Links
Conductors in parallel are acceptable in the regs providing certain conditions are met, though I'd tend to agree that in a small domestic supply it isn't the best setup in the world.

Things like certain measures must be met so it isn't teed off, same construction, same length, diameter. I still think it is a bad idea to do it that way though. I'd be much happier with a standard circuit arrangement. What size fuse is supplying the SWA?

Sponsored Links
Hi Spark, the cicuit that supplies the garage is currently a Wylex B20 MCB. Would this be correct?

The electrician said that another possibility would be to reduce the MCB rating to possibly a B10, as I only use the socket infrequently to cut the grass?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back