Electric Supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently had the power company round to look at moving our supply and main meter from a downstairs clockroom to the understairs cupboard (about 3 or 4 meters distance).

As it would involve renewing the mains cable to the meter/main fuse with a longer length, they would have to dig up the front garden (or rather I would have to ready for them) and they still want to chagre £350.

On top of this, I still need my own electrician to relocated the fuse board next to the meter in its new location.

There may be enough space within the cloakroom to move the main fuse and meter onto the rear wall (a foot or so) but this would be next to the concealed cistern I am planning install. I would then have the fuse board under the stairs.

Does anyone know if this is acceptable to building regs (ie being next to a source of water - it is already but this would be moving it even closer) and also, on possible charges by the electivity company

thanks

Sponsored Links
sub mains?

the main thing is to create some more space on the wall the meter/amin fuse is currently located on and by moving this by a foot or so to the other wall, would give me the extra space, also makes it tidier.

Would I still need a sub main if I want to move the distribution board?

stevenrafferty said:
sub mains?

the main thing is to create some more space on the wall the meter/amin fuse is currently located on and by moving this by a foot or so to the other wall, would give me the extra space, also makes it tidier.

Would I still need a sub main if I want to move the distribution board?

sub mains is takin a cable from the service fuse to a difernt location to where the CU is

Sponsored Links
thamks for this.

Can I have this done by a electrician or does it have to be carried out by the electiricty company?

AIUI:

Basically everything up to and including the meter is theirs, and their responsibility, and if you want those things moved then they do it and you pay whatever they ask. (Or don't have it done).

After the meter is yours, and if you/your electrician want to move things then you may, but:

1) You must check with them what their limit for length of meter tails is - they might want a switchfuse installed.

2) As you're moving the CU they may want the "new" installation to be certified by an electrician before reconnecting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back