electric towel radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought an electric towel radiator from screwfix, and a 250W element. The question is, with what do I fill the radiator with?? and secondly how do I control the temp? with an external timer switch outside the bathroom?

Sponsored Links
What does it say in the instructions that came with it? That would be a good starting point.

I thought any form of electrical heater designed to look like a radiator of some sort was oil filled. I'd guess that it already is otherwise it's not going to work very well unless you only use face cloths to dry yourself and hang them on the bottom rail. They'll be dry alright.... and a nice shade of brown too.

But all of that is secondary to your main problem. That is that as it's electrical and going into your bathroom, you need to be aware of the part P of the new building regulations. Or to put it plainly, you need to get a qualified (as in able to certify Part P electrical installations, not just a time served) Electrician to install it.

Hang on though.... you are in Scotland are you not? Isn't there different rules??

And finally, the heater will have a thermostat device to cut off the supply when it get's too hot, set into the heater. Your only external control would then be a switch, best placed outside the bathroom for safety. This is quite often the fused connection unit that is supplying the heater as they can have a switch and a small light to show that it's on. What you can't do is run an extension lead from the bathroom to a handy 13amp socket (hopefully) outside in the landing.

Hope that helps,
Jon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back