Electric towel rail - to bleed or not to bleed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am wanting to try and clear up some confusion I am having with the installation of a new electric only heated towel rail.

The towel rail came pre filled and according to the instructions you just unscrew one of the 4 blanking plugs to fit the heating element/thermostat and that's it.

Nowhere do the instructions for the towel rail and the element do not tell you to replace one of the other blanking plugs with a bleed valve. That said It does come with a bleed valve though I assume that may be for when it is to be used in central heating.

In the safety section the instructions state
"The pressure in the radiator should not exceed 10atm. Ensure that an air cushion is preserved in electric raditors."

However, I was just a bit concerned as it didn't seem entirely right not to vent any pressure as it's ultimately a sealed unit - looking online I have found many places saying you should have a valve and vent the air as it heats up for the first time then close the valve. But I have also found other places that say to not do anything - just seal it up and turn it on.

So I don't know - should I install the valve and bleed or not?! I'm tempted to bleed as I feel like should anything ever fail a cold implosion would be better than the alternative.

Cheers

Model in question - https://www.bestheating.com/milano-calder-electric-flat-white-heated-towel-rail-1500mm-x-500mm-64533

Sponsored Links
The one I installed was dry, the instructions said to install with one top plug missing, fill with solution to a certain height [which I seem to recall as the top bar being half full], heat and ensure there was still a certain gap then fit the plug while hot.

The radiator cap in your car is normally 13psi (~1 bar/atm) and the water gets far hotter than your radiator ever will.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back