Electric UFH melted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently bought this house which has electric underfloor mats downstairs. Been using them all without any problem.

Noticed that the engineered wood floor in the lounge had a bit of a dip in it, so I pulled up the floor thinking I'd probably find a failed joist. However the dip was caused by the underfloor electric mat having got too hot and melting the insulation below it. This has only happened in one strip - the rest of the room was absolutely fine.

The system was a foil mat on the purple budget insulation you see sold online a lot. Engineered wood flooring on top. Final photo shows it flipped upside down.

The whole lot is in the skip now so it's no danger to anyone. But it looked well installed.

I'm wondering what causes this to happen, and shouldn't there be some safety cut-out?

PXL_20230127_173112063.jpg
PXL_20230127_173634113.jpg
PXL_20230127_174713938.jpg

Sponsored Links
Two types of electric underfloor heating, one uses a special chemical heating element which increases resistance as it warms up, so reasonably self regulation. The other has pockets (bits of pipe built into the floor) and sensors in them to limit the floor temperature to 27ºC but one the one I fitted if disconnected the temperature can be exceeded in other words it does not fail safe.

Localised over heating of thermostat controlled UHF can be caused by rugs or other items that thermally insulate an area of the floor preventing heat from moving from the element and into the room. A sofa can have the same effect.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back