Electric underfloor heating question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im planning to put in electric underfloor heating in my kitchen.

Just read through the installation notes, and the implication is that I should not lay cable under areas of floor where washing machine, fridge, dishwasher etc are supposed to be going.

Now, this would be fine, except that the kit Ive got does a minimum of 3.6m2 , and I only have this area including the areas under the appliances......

Is it ok to heat the floor under the washing machine etc? I know its a bit of a waste, but otherwise i'll have to send the cable back and get a shorter one.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Just read through the installation notes, and the implication is that I should not lay cable under areas of floor where washing machine, fridge, dishwasher etc are supposed to be going.
If that's what it says don't do, then don't do it.

There must be a reason why.

Why not call the manufacturer and ask them?

Sponsored Links
I ran across this one when I installed wet underfloor heating in my new kitchen extension. I know its a bit dirrerent, but I was told by one that knows about such things that you can heat the floor under appliances any such as long as the heat can disapate properly from underneath.

So, you might be okay, but to be fair, if the glove is too big for you hand, go and swap it for a smaller glove that fits your hand better.

One thing is for sure - you don't want your underfloor heating cable to be too SMALL. Don't buy a smaller one and then try and stretch it out because it won't work. You need to avoid wiring underneath appliances to prevent overheating in that area. If you have adequate airspace between the underneath of the appliance and the floor (i.e. the appliance having feet) to release some heat then you may be ok. You can use creative geometry to lay out the cable or mat so that you use it all up without stretching it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back