electric underfloor heating won't work

i was assured it was tested before laying the tiles but i wouldn't be surprised if it got damaged after that. we were doing up the house on a tight budget and, yes, you get what you pay for - a false economy in the end. we got the builders off 'rated tradesman' website as were new to the area and unfortunately didn't have any personal recommendations and the local firms were well beyond affordable...

we employed the electrician separately (had all the uk qualifications etc) to be sure it was done right - which of course meant more of a coordination headache (also why it's harder to go back to anyone now!)

generally we just about 'got away with it' aside from this issue and the relatively poor finishes i'm spending every weekend rectifying! :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I sympathise with your desire to avoid hassle.

But letting those cowboys get away with what they did to you just guarantees that they'll go on to do it to somebody else.

What type of underfloor system is it??? Matt or the cable type ??

What was your sub floor preperation??

What size kit was it??

Was it wired via an fused spur?? The system MUST incorporate A
30Ma RCD either at the distribution board or by a dedicated RCD supplied
from a fused spur.

Did they test it before, during and after installation??? When i installed
mine i tested it after every row of tiles laid as it only takes one slip from
the tilers trowel to knacker the job.

Also did they use flexible tile adhesive & grout ?? this wont be the cause
of your problem but it will stop your tiles from cracking in the future.

Kris

What type of underfloor system is it??? Matt or the cable type ??

What was your sub floor preperation??

What size kit was it??

Was it wired via an fused spur?
Who cares? It isn't working, and the guy is going to get an electrician to diagnose the fault.

The system MUST incorporate A 30Ma RCD either at the distribution board or by a dedicated RCD supplied from a fused spur.
Why "MUST" it?

Did they test it before, during and after installation?
You haven't read the topic properly.

When i installed mine i tested it after every row of tiles laid as it only takes one slip from the tilers trowel to knacker the job.
So why didn't you go and test the OP's mat - are you just lazy or sumfink?

Also did they use flexible tile adhesive & grout ?? this wont be the cause of your problem but it will stop your tiles from cracking in the future.
No it won't. If the floor isn't robust enough then flexible adhesive and/or grout will crack.

Sponsored Links
The system MUST incorporate A 30Ma RCD either at the distribution board or by a dedicated RCD supplied from a fused spur.
Why "MUST" it?
B7671(2008) Section 753. Specifically 753.411.3.2
Specifically (sic.), why "MUST" anyone do what BS7671 says?

(Assuming you are wiring to BS7671, of course).
Specifically (sic.), why are you assuming anything, let alone that the installer was following the entirety of BS7671?

Why "MUST" it?

Because that quote was taken from the manufactures instructions. well not all of it but here it is taken from the manufacturers instructions.

Undertile heating must be wired via an RCD. You must install a dedicated
RCD, if one is not already present. You may wish to use a fused spur/RCD. No more than 4.8kW of heating may be connected to a single
30 milliamp RCD. For larger loads use multiple RCDs or a 100 milliamp RCD.

You haven't read the topic properly.

Oh i think i have, its you who hasnt read the topic properly sunshine.

Quote from OP was
I was assured it was tested before laying the tiles but i wouldn't be surprised if it got damaged after that.
It doesnt say anything about being tested duting and after :rolleyes:

So why didn't you go and test the OP's mat - are you just lazy or sumfink?

If asked i would of gladly gone and tested it for him if he lived close to me. Lazy, i am not kid. I work 7 days a week 10 hours a day as well as
raise my 3 month old son and support my wife. Dont ever call me lazy sunshine.
Oh and how old are you, 2?? learn to spell, punk.

No it won't. If the floor isn't robust enough then flexible adhesive and/or grout will crack.
Hence why i asked about what subfloor was used.

Jesus man wake up and have a coffee. Too many babyshams last night :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Why "MUST" it?

Because that quote was taken from the manufactures instructions. well not all of it but here it is taken from the manufacturers instructions.

Undertile heating must be wired via an RCD. You must install a dedicated
RCD, if one is not already present. You may wish to use a fused spur/RCD. No more than 4.8kW of heating may be connected to a single
30 milliamp RCD. For larger loads use multiple RCDs or a 100 milliamp RCD.
Then you're using a different definition of the word "MUST".

To me it means that it's illegal not to do something. To you it appears to mean that Wickes don't like it.

sunshine.
You've seen my ar*e then. :D

Dont ever call me lazy sunshine.
You are lazy.

learn to spell punk.
It is spelled "punk". I'm a very fast learner.

I'm beginning to see what Deptfordbull has a problem with.

I knew, when I wrote that bit, that someone would take issue with it

and that is EXACTLY why I qualified what I wrote.

If you look at my post I said

Now, as this is a DIY forum, I kind of like to present Electric-lite™ and not worry our readers that the Red book is non-statutory.

But, please nit-pick, if it makes you happy....

I knew, when I wrote that bit, that someone would take issue with it
Well, the person who "took issue" is the person who you wrongly implied was wrong, so I have no idea why you're objecting now that I'm pointing out that you're wrong.

and that is EXACTLY why I qualified what I wrote.

If you look at my post
I can't look at it. I could look at it again, but unless you've edited it then it will be exactly as I remember it.

I said

Yes. You did. You were wrong to assume anything.

Now, as this is a DIY forum, I kind of like to present Electric-lite™ and not worry our readers that the Red book is non-statutory.
Well you brought up the whole thing of BS7671, so the 'worry' was generated entirely by you.

Just because you can't take responsibility for your own actions doesn't mean that I'm going to do it for you. If you don't like being told that you're posting boll*cks, then don't post boll*cks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back