Electric underfloor heating.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently bought a 25 year old house which needs the heating system upgraded or maybe renewed and I am going to be knocking through my dinning room and kitchen. Instead of upgrading the radiators in these two rooms I am looking at using underfloor heating.

The rooms have solid floors so my options are limited to digging up the floor; to install pipes for radiators, or installing electric underfloor heating.

What is the general consensus of opinion on which is the better system? Has anyone got any horror stories about electric underfloor heating?

I want to do as much of the work as I can, myself, so underfloor heating sounds like the best option at the moment. :?:

Sponsored Links
Has anyone got any horror stories about electric underfloor heating?
Yes the runing cost. The low watt matting is great for warming cold tiles in small areas such as conservatories kitchens or bathrooms, but if you want to install full heating it can be very expensive to run, especially in older properties were the insulation is not up to the latest specification.

I would calculate how much heat your property will require based on it's size and type of construction. From that you will be able to work out the electrical consumption, then use the cost per kWH from your electricity bill to find the running cost.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back