Underfloor Heat - One Room Only

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having my garage converted to a lounge with a vaulted ceiling and ideally want to heat the room with underfloor heating.

Is it standard practice to set up an underfloor system assumably with manifold and pump for a single room and connect this to the existing boiler or is this an absurd idea?

Ideally in the next couple of years I would like to extend the kitchen diner and also then heat this expansive space using underfloor heating.

I will be looking to upgrade my 20yr old boiler to a condensing boiler prior to the conversion and want to decide what I'll be connecting to it. I'm not sure if I'll need a different boiler depending on whether I'm opting for the underfloor or radiator option?

Sponsored Links
Unless it is say a small bathroom or box room then ideally you will use a manifold/pump/blending valve and zone valve arrangement fed by your boiler and controlled by it's own thermostat, especially if you are looking to expand the UFH into other rooms in the future.

Sponsored Links
With wet underfloor heating there are a few methods, the problem is the floor temperature must not exceed 27°C so what it normally does is circulate water around the floor with a pump, and add water to that circulating water when it cools below 27°C and my brother-in-law has had an extension with exactly that system, but there are other options. The main problem with underfloor is if an existing building to lay insulation and pipes it lifts the floor a fair amount, I had an electric system fitted in mother's wet room, they had to band jack out the floor first to put the insulation in without lifting the floor.

With my brother-in-law he is retired so uses the room a lot, but it takes so long to heat the room any idea of selecting times of day for it to run will not work, his does turn off at night with the main central heating but a very well insulated room so heat not lost.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back