Electric Underfloor Heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, had to create a new accounts so have been here while, but have a query on underfloor heating.

Have been in our house a year or so and are having a bathroom refitted. Have exposed the underfloor heating, which I knew was there, and confirmed it is electric but we have not found any control panel. It is coming on, albeit at a low temperature (the elements are exposed the moment until a new floor is laid), but I have never located any controls. Could it be linked to the light switch, i.e. come on when the lights are on, (seems unlikely) or could it be always on?

I am assuming any control panel would be either in the room, or nearby. Suspect it was installed within the last 10 years, so not sure it would be wireless.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Find the power cables to the elements, trace them back to the supply, the controller will be there somewhere

As well as connections to the elements there should be a temperature probs in the floor. That should go to some sort of control device. B

Sponsored Links
There are two types of under floor heating, there is the type with a resistance cable which gives out a fixed amount of heat per meter, and needs a sensor to stop floor over heating, and there is the type using a chemical think main firm called Raychem and the chemical increases resistance as it warms up so is self regulating so does not really need the sensors.

When sensors are used they go in pockets, so in theory at least they can be renewed without lifting the floor, and the cable for sensor not that long (typical 3 meters) so the thermostat has to be close to the sensor. So if the heating elements are exposed you should see the pocket for the sensor unless the Raychem version.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back