Electric underfloor heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've done a search but can't find the answers to some questions I have about the above. I would like to fit underfloor heating in my kitchen and bathroom, the bathrooms no problem as it has a wooden floor but the kitchen floor is concrete and I don't like the idea of digging it out to accommodate the pipework and insulation etc. So to my questions to those who might have had experience of the electric type of underfloor heating, does it heat a room when it's freezing outside sufficiently as the manufacturers claim and what are the running costs compared to water pipe heating, the only info I've found on the net is £9:71 per square meter if on for 5 hours a day.

Sponsored Links
It is an absolute certainty that natural gas is very much cheaper than direct electricity but I don't know the exact figure.

A groundsource heatump uses 1kw of electricity for every 3kw of heat, but I doubt that is any better than natural gas at present. Installation and equipment costs without the underfloor heating part are likely to be £12,000 so the payback period is so long it is a senseless thing to do, a rich man's toy that's all.

No m8 you want natural gas, or move if it isn't available where you are. LPG is far too expensive and oil will never beat natural gas, and is smelly and horrible.

No problem with ufh though, although once again the equipment and installation costs are far above radiator costs, so you are paying for comfort and style not economy.

In short, if you want fancy stuff you are not saving any money or any environment.

Sorry forgot to put £9:71 per square meter if on for 5 hours a day per ANNUM. Anyone else have any experience of this type of heating

Sponsored Links
Polypipe do an overfloor wet 12mm pipe system that lifts your floor by about 25mm i think if thats an option.Its a very dense type insulation with pipe runs built in that u overboard with plywood.

I have fitted the DeviMat underfloor for a few customers now. The quality of the gear is fantastic with the room controllers having the ability to be linked together into one main hub and ran through a computer if you wish. The materials for this are quite pricey in comparisson to some other makes. with regards to will it heat the room, yes it takes the chill out of the air but wont give you greenhouse temperatures. Ideal for kitchens and bathrooms where your feet are generally on tiles but as for space heating i wouldn't bother.
Lee

Thanks for the replies. Still undecided which route to take but if I do go for a water system I presume as the pipework(6 square meters) will be replacing the existing large double radiator my pump should be able to cope or will it need uprating.

Wet underfloor system come with their own manifold and pump, usually are zoned as well. youd have to decide which make and then look at how they are to be installed.

I had some relations who had electric underfloor heating installed when their bungalow was built. Fairly expensive to run but they ran it on off-peak so it warmed up the concrete slab like a storage heater and gave background heat all day. They were retired. Like storage heaters I don't think it's very suitable if you're out at work all day.

I believe it is not suitable for rubber-backed carpet or rubber underlay, not just because it insulates, but because the rubber perishes too.

(6 square meters) will be replacing the existing large double radiator
Nowhere near enough floor area for that. Depends on system but expect around 70W/m².

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back