electrical certificate or periodic inspection report

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help!!! My builder has issued me with a p.i.r. report but i asked him for a certificate of compliance..He has gutted the house and i`m not too sure what has been done all together with the electrics but i know he has put in a new fuse box..is the p.i.r. ok to use instead of the certificate??

Sponsored Links
NO it is not.

You need two things from him

1. An Electrical Installation Certificate. This will provide a schedule of all of the tests done on each circuit and certifies that the work he has done complies with BS7671.
He has changed the consumer unit so tests must be carried out on each circuit. This is vital if he has been doing substantial works on the circuits.
otherwise, how will he know that a ring is really a ring, or that the earth fault loop impedances are within limits.

A PIR is only used as a report on an existing installation, not for changes/additions etc.

2. If he has done the work, as a contractor, he/his electrician should be registered with one of the "Part P" schemes. WHen the work is completed, he advises his registration body (its done on line) that he has completed the works and the reg, body notifies the local authority that its all been done in accordance with Building Regulations, and you get sent a Certificate of Compliance.
This comes from the registration body, not the electrician.

It is the law that many electrical works must be notified in this way. Notifiable works include:
Change of fuseboard
A new circuit
Work in a bathroom, kitchen or outside.

If he has not done this then contact your local authority or trading standards and get his @rse hauled over the coals.

If he has not done this then contact your local authority or trading standards and get his @rse hauled over the coals.
And don't pay him.

Or at least withhold a substantial amount - until you know exactly who did the electrical work, whether they were qualified, how good a job they did etc, you won't know if you aren't going to have to fork out thousands to put it right.

As ban says but there are two ways of working:-
(1) As laid out by Ban.
(2) Through the LABC with the latter he would normally send the installation certificate to the LABC who in turn issue the completion certificate.

Where the LABC refuse to accept the builders readings they can insist the the work is checked by another electrician. This electrician can't issue a installation certificate as he did not install it but would likely issue an electrical installation condition report which were called periodic inspection reports.

The all important bit of paper is the completion certificate and do read it carefully as likely the building work and the electric work will all be on the same form.

I would have expected even if an outside electrician has independently inspected to work to satisfy the LABC the builder should still issue the installation certificate although there is no law to say he must.

The Part P is law and the completion certificate shows he has complied with the law. BS7671:2008 is one way of insuring the installation is to a standard which the LABC will accept although not law. However it can be used in a court of law to show the work was sub standard.

Although I am sure this is not the case with your house you could have it wired to for example Germany standard which would not comply with BS7671 but would still get a completion certificate issued. I know of a set of houses built for the US forces which have split phase 110v supply in Suffolk the law has to be written to allow these odd situations but the BS7671 does not.

Sponsored Links
Help!!! My builder has issued me with a p.i.r. report but i asked him for a certificate of compliance..
He has gutted the house and i`m not too sure what has been done all together with the electrics but i know he has put in a new fuse box..is the p.i.r. ok to use instead of the certificate??
When changing an old fuse box to a new consumer unit I would personally perform and issue both an electrical installation condition report(EICR) PIR, prior to any new work. Once any remedial, additional, alterations are done then I would perform and issue an electrical installation certificate(EIC).
Although I know of some electricians that do not perform the EICR proir to unit change.
But you must demand an EIC, this details the work they have carried out and a schedules of inspections made and schedules of tests made and results, these schedules be issued with this document or it is invalid/void.
Hold back any payment for the time being, find out wheter the builders company or if the electrician used is registered on the competent person list
If so talk to their scheme provider, also call building controls and check that an application has been made to them, if you are not already aware of this.
If things don't work out and not all required documents are issued, complain to any associations the builder is a member, report to trading standards/consumer direct and take legal action.
Can't say it will come to anything but, hopefully scare the **** out of him!

As ban says but there are two ways of working:-
(1) As laid out by Ban.
(2) Through the LABC with the latter he would normally send the installation certificate to the LABC who in turn issue the completion certificate.
Err... I wasn't suggesting that witholding payment was an option of the only thing to do - it's in addition to getting it resolved, i.e. be aware that no competent electrician may have been involved, be aware that the gutting of the house may have resulted in all sorts of electrical work being done apart from just replacing the CU, and be aware that that may have included all sorts of dreadful bodges which won't necessarily be picked up by an electrician doing an inspection, and be aware that given the history to date any EIC miraculously produced by the builder now may be a pack of lies and be aware that it might cost a lot of money to put things right.

For example, if the builder has been putting in new cabling which is now all plastered or floored over there is no way that testing for continuity, insulation resistance, polarity and fault loop will tell you if they've been routed properly, if they are the right size throughout, if there are no concealed JBs, no wires just twisted together and taped up, and so on.

Damn I have paid him...he said that the work he done has been checked by another electrician..which happens to be his brother who I know is on the competent persons list.

Damn I have paid him...he said that the work he done has been checked by another electrician..which happens to be his brother who I know is on the competent persons list.

Not right, but if this has been done where is the Certificate of Installation, Where is the Cert of Compliance?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back