Electrical: Changing a single socket to a double

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, i have done no electrical work before and this will probably be the most basic question so far...
I want to change a single socket to a double. All the double sockets in the flat have TWO sets of cable leading into the them but the existing single socket has only one cable leading in -- so, can I safely swap this single socket to a double using only the one cable there or will this be insufficient to handle two sockets (handling a washing machine, freezer, fridge, and radio).??
Thanks

Sponsored Links
You can buy a double socket cover for about £8 from B&Q which is specificaly designed to do what you intend. All you do is remove the single cover and the new double cover screws into the existing metal box, it is advertised on the packet how simple it is to do. The only thing I am not sure about is if a washing machine can be run off a standard plug but Im sure a future post will clarify that for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back