Change a double socket to two single sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I want to change a double socket to two single sockets I have the back box to put two single sockets in , there is only one wire going to the socket so do I put them wires to one of the sockets and then put wires from that socket to the second socket ?? The reson I am doing this is because I am putting in brown Bakelite sockets and can't get doubles but have loads of singles which are old but never used and still in the box thanks

Sponsored Links
Extending the circuit would depend on the circuit you are extending.
if you are really lucky and managed to find the end socket of a radial or even a spur from a radial it could be possible.
If the the socket is from a ring final circuit and has not been fused down at the interconnection, then you will not be able to, without extending the ring as a whole or fusing down at the point of the original and first spur.

Extending the circuit would depend on the circuit you are extending.
if you are really lucky and managed to find the end socket of a radial or even a spur from a radial it could be possible.
If the the socket is from a ring final circuit and has not been fused down at the interconnection, then you will not be able to, without extending the ring as a whole or fusing down at the point of the original and first spur.
ok that went right over my head sorry only a novis , how will I know what the wire is ?. Surely if it was powering a double socket it should power two single socket together ?.

No, because if the first single socket is already a spur from a (ring final) then adding a second socket would be a spur from a spur, and that is not permitted.

You can do this, but only if you protect all the sockets on the spur with a fused connection unit. This would limit the max current to 13amp.

Sponsored Links
ok that went right over my head sorry only a novis
Sorry if I caused confusion, not my intention.
how will I know what the wire is ?
It would require a knowledge of circuit configurations and would require further investigation and testing procedures to find that out.
I could attempt to explain these, but I fear the space above your head could come congested.
Surely if it was powering a double socket it should power two single socket together ?.
You would assume so, but never assume!
Double sockets and single sockets are rated at differing values, and the sum of two singles, is not that of the sum of one double.
So spurring a spur from and unfused spur on a ring final circuit is not permitted as the there is a chance of over heating.

Ok I sort of get it now I will get a electrician to look at that one ,, I have opened another double socket and there is 2 wires going to it so could I change that one to two single sockets if so how would I wire it ? Thanks for all the help so far :D

Ok I sort of get it now I will get a electrician to look at that one ,, I have opened another double socket and there is 2 wires going to it so could I change that one to two single sockets if so how would I wire it ? Thanks for all the help so far :D
If your electrician could confirm (by testing) that the socket with 2 cables is part of a ring (which isn't inevitably the case) then it should be quite easy for him/her to change it to two nearby single sockets.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks very much for all the help one last question my cooker wire which is on a separate fuse box is a switch ( for cooker ) with a plug I want to change it for just a switch which would be hiden in a cupboard and then a wire up from the switch to two single sockets is that possible ?.

Thanks very much for all the help one last question my cooker wire which is on a separate fuse box is a switch ( for cooker ) with a plug I want to change it for just a switch which would be hiden in a cupboard and then a wire up from the switch to two single sockets is that possible ?.
It's possible but there are provisions.
Normally cooker circuits are configured using the radial type circuit, which lends it's self a little more accommodating to the extension of and additions of spurs.
You must not make the isolator inaccessible, but providing the demand of the cooker is as you have stated via a 13A socket out and the rating of protective device allows the extra demand of the additional socket, the circuit could be extend, through the supply side of the isolator, thus the only socket isolated by this is the cooker socket. I am personally a fan of keeping the cooking appliances on an independent circuit. But that is me!
Please note that any additional sockets should have 30ma RCD protection as should in most cases any buried cable, if your existing Consumer unit already protects the circuits with 30ma RCD, that you are adding sockets to, then no additional RCD protection is not required, but any newly installed sockets and cable buried less than 50mm within walls, unless mechanically protected will require this.

I would expect the correct test procedures to be performed and documentation of the results.

It's possible but there a provisions.
Normally cooker circuits are configured using the radial type circuit, which lends it's self a little more accommodating to the extension of and additions of spurs.
You must not make the isolator inaccessible, but providing the demand of the cooker is as you have stated via a 13A socket out and the rating of protective device allows the extra demand of the additional socket, the circuit could be extend, through the supply side of the isolator, thus the only socket isolated by this is the cooker socket. I am personally a fan of keeping the cooking appliances on an independent circuit. But that is me!
Please note that any additional sockets should have 30ma RCD protection as should in most cases any buried cable, if your existing Consumer unit already protects the circuits with 30ma RCD, that you are adding sockets to, then no additional RCD protection is not required, but any newly installed sockets and cable buried less than 50mm within walls, unless mechanically protected will require this.
ok thanks I think I will leave all of this to the sparky after all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back