replacing double socket with 13a fcu and single socket

86c

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to rip out the double socket and put in a single 13amp fused spur and one socket in its place.

Can this be done with two single mounting boxes in place of the double mounting box? I cant find a spur socket combo apart from 45amp cooker.

Sponsored Links
"the double socket" implies you only have one in your house. Is this true?
"rip out" implies your gonna leave a big hole in the wall after you finished with the crowbar. Please dont.

Anyway, pedantry aside, tell us if the socket is on a ring main, a radial or a spur.

or if you're not sure tell us the amperage of the fuse/circuit breaker and also how many cables are at the double socket.

Try using a dual back box instead of two singles.

Incidentally - what is the 13A spur for?

Sponsored Links
I have many sockets in the house. I need to add a spur for alarm. dont want to serface mount and dont want to leave a hole in the wall.

I really want something like this http://www.screwfix.com/prods/62393...on-13A-Skt;jsessionid=LOBHYOKI3CQWACSTHZOSFFI but with 13a spur insted of the cooker bit. Can not find one anywere so was wondering if two singles can fit in a hole for a double. Somethings telling me that two singles will be too big for a double hole

86c just ignore "Shop Assistant" Steves pedantic comments, he's as qualified as you are to give electrical advice out. :LOL:

I asked a similar question and it was suggested to use the MK Grid range, the only issue is you would lose the single socket, but the FCU would fit onto the double backbox without any disruption to your decor.

I got a dual single backbox thing. I also had a look behind the sockets and it has two lots twin and earth. I looked behind another socket and it has three lots of twin and earth.

I read somewere that you can only have one spur per socket, does that mean if you have a double plug socket you can have two spurs?

And how does the sockets come off the mains, in series or paraell? i trying to work out which socket has a spur socket 1 with two sets of twin and earth or socket 2 with three sets of twin and earth

on a standard ring circuit twin and earth 2.5 mm cable runs from the consumer unit to each socket and then back to the consumer unit in the form of a ring. so at each socket there will be two 2.5 mm t+e cables. you can spur off one of these sockets to supply another socket (or a fused connection unit). you can only spur off a ring circuit socket once; and you cannot spur off a spur. these rules apply to single sockets, double sockets and FCUs.

i'm not clear if the double socket you wish to convert has two or three t+e cables in it. do you have a 30/32 a ring circuit as described above; or a 20 a radial circuit, or even something else?

you shouldn't have to make any more spurs on the circuit.

on a standard ring circuit twin and earth 2.5 mm cable runs from the consumer unit to each socket and then back to the consumer unit in the form of a ring. so at each socket there will be two 2.5 mm t+e cables. you can spur off one of these sockets to supply another socket (or a fused connection unit). you can only spur off a ring circuit socket once; and you cannot spur off a spur. these rules apply to single sockets, double sockets and FCUs.

i'm not clear if the double socket you wish to convert has two or three t+e cables in it. do you have a 30/32 a ring circuit as described above; or a 20 a radial circuit, or even something else?

you shouldn't have to make any more spurs on the circuit.
I dont know what circuit it is. How can you tell? they all look the same to me! the braker has no amp rating on it it had something like 30/ i will post that later in the day when i can see were im going.

I need to make a spur for this FCU to power an alarm

the socket i want to convert has two t&e

the breaker will have B** on it somewhere, there ** is one or two numbers. Instead it may have C** or D** (highly unlikely its a D though)

I got a dual single backbox thing.
Which?

It can't be a dual and a single....

I also had a look behind the sockets and it has two lots twin and earth. I looked behind another socket and it has three lots of twin and earth.
The second one probably has a spur running from it.

I read somewere that you can only have one spur per socket, does that mean if you have a double plug socket you can have two spurs?
No.

But presumably you won't be spurring from a socket when you fit your 2 accessories - you'll put the FCU directly onto the socket circuit.

And how does the sockets come off the mains, in series or paraell? i trying to work out which socket has a spur socket 1 with two sets of twin and earth or socket 2 with three sets of twin and earth
You really need to spend some time here before going any further with electrical work....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back