electrical connection in France

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am just undertaking a renovation project in France and have acquired a static caravan to use as a temporary living accommodation when out there, so I can be on-site etc. Has anyone experience of getting EDF to connect to the main grid so that we have power. The house is in an uninhabital state, has been for several years, although electric was once connected there is no trace of a fuse box and I was hoping that we could be connected to the grid via the static caravan until the house is completed in 18 months time. You help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Easiest way is to get a site-connection ( connection de chantier ), good for max 12 or 18 months.

You need to buy a site - connection box ( coffret de chantier ) which is about E 500 - 700 new but available second-hand as people sell on when finished.

There is nothing in the domestic regs - NFC 15-100 - about caravans and numerous requirements would not be possible to meet, Since however there are caravans connected permanently there is obviously some special device/procedure for this.

If you speak French you could ring your local Consuel ( body i/c checking electrical installations before connection to supply ) , ask for the Technical Service and they will tell you what you can do. Have found my local one in Lyon quite helpful.

If you still have a meter in the old house, this is important as that seems to trigger some kind of obligation on the part of EDF to re-connect you and can save some expense.

Thanks for this, I will get searching for a site connection pronto, my French sadly is only at the very basic visiting tourist level, but I'm in the process of changing that through lessons.

Thanks again and regards

A little late I know. About 18 months I was fortunate enough to be able to ask for a simple re-connection 'cos the meter was still there. No testing etc required. But more importantly the EDF that I spoke to in Brittany rang back later with an english speaking operator.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, this is also useful, we are in the process of applying for a permit which EDF require before they will consider any connection.

Just how bad is the house? is it really so bad that you can't get the electrical connection put in straight to the house and then run a feed from there for the caravan rather than messing arround with getting your main intake moved later?

In France if a property is effectively new (even if it's a renovation like yours) it will not be allowed a permanent connection to the grid until it has been given an "Attestation de Conformité" by CONSUEL (http://www.consuel.com). In other words your installation need to be complete, & actually pass. This process does only apply if the property in question has never had a metered electrical supply of it's own, or if it's been disconnected for a long time.

However, this doesn't stop you getting the ground or overhead works done to achieve such a connection which will then allow you to have a temporary supply for which you will require a "coffret de chantier" as has already been mentioned. This box is specially set up to receive the temporary meter, usually supplied by EDF.

A word of warning: temporary supplies are only allowed for a maximum of one year. There are stories of people being cut off when they have tried to keep the arrangement for too long.

Thanks for these, in answer to the first point, the house is open to the elements, although it has a roof this is on its last legs and water is getting in. Water and electricity are not a good mix, I am assuming that EDF will not attempt any type of connection to the house whilst in this state.
The temporary route is the one we will go down, hopefully within a year the house will be water tight if not totally at the second fix stage where I will then get power connected to the house.

Thanks and regards.

You need to be careful: you will not get a supply as you have described in your last mail.

You will not get the permanent power-supply connected until the house is fully wired in accordance with NFC 15 -100 i.e. you have got lots of plugs, communication sockets, external lights fitted and everything either behind plasterboard/ channelled into the walls/ in rigid plastic conduit.

You can get a meter fitted fairly quickly BUT it will not be connected and renain an expensive ornament until your house has been inspected by the Consuel and they certify that the installation is to standard i.e. is immediately suitable for use in a normal domestic situation not just a building-site.

Take care or you may find yourself using a generator between the end of your one year "chantier" contract and getting the house/system into a state where it can be certified.

Sponsored Links
Back