Electrical Immersion Heater - No Hot Water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our water is heated by an electric immersion heater attached to the hot water tank (we don't have gas central heating) but lately the water has been either stone cold or just luke warm.

The timer is a T124 24hr timer and is set to heat water for an hour in the am and an hour in the pm. Just after these times the water is not very hot at all.

When the water is heated manually for an hour the water is really hot and fine.

The timer is working fine i.e. the clock works ok and the electrics to the tank are fine (the water heats manually) so can't understand why the water will not heat automatically.

The element was replaced about a year ago so is fine plus it heats water ok manually anyway.

Woudl appreciate some feedback or advice to try and workout what the problem might be.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
On the information you've provided so far it sounds like the timer switch.

How do you operate the element manually?

Hi, on the timer theres a toggle switch to move it into 3 positions. Off, Timer and On. It is set at timer all the time but to turn the hot water on manually we move the switch to the on position.

The water heats fine then.

Earlier, at the time the water should be heating automatically the element wasn't heating the water. I turned the switch to the on position and the water started heating. I turned it back to the timer position and the water continued to heat up then for a short period before stopping again.

This evening the water was hot as it should be!

I'm even more confused!!

It may be the timer or it could be that one of the connections associated with the timer is not tight enough.
Immersions pull a fair bit of power and eventually a loose connection will fail.
I have seen this quite often where the plumber has replaced the immersion and hasnt appreciated the need for good, tight connections (apologies, plumbers, its not all of you...)

Turn off the power and check all connections.

Sponsored Links
Yep, I tried that. Checked the connections on the top of the element. Noticed the earth a bit loose the other day but still no difference. I took out all wires from the thermostat on the top and put them back in, tight.

One thing I thought might be a problem. If there was a small break in the wiring between the element and the timer could that affect the element heating the water?

Yep, I tried that. Checked the connections on the top of the element.
Well, it could be a rod thermostat on its last legs.

One thing I thought might be a problem. If there was a small break in the wiring between the element and the timer could that affect the element heating the water?
Yes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back