electrical socket from old emmersion heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my kitchen is desperately in need of some further plug sockets , both my kitchen and bathroom are downstairs (void roof space) , about ten years ago I had a combi boiler fitted and the copper tank taken out , the wire to the heater was fed back into the low level roof space , can I feed that wire back down into the kitchen and put a plug socket on it ,

second question (related) the other end of the wire before going on its travels
meets a fused box next to a timer which still has power to it that used to go around (and still does) and with the use of little pegs turn the emmersion on and off , can I remove this and just put a junction it to just connect the two wires.

I have fitted plugs before but this is slightly different , any advice would be greatly appreciated , Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply ,looking at the image I have uploaded , can I remove the lower fuse box or should I just connect the wires in the top box and put a cover plate over it ? Do I need that fuse box for a single socket?

It is perfectly safe to leave the fused spur in place, simply replace the output timer with a 13amp unswitched socket, use the FCU switch to turn the socket on and off.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply ,looking at the image I have uploaded , can I remove the lower fuse box or should I just connect the wires in the top box and put a cover plate over it ? Do I need that fuse box for a single socket?
what rating is the fuse or mcb protecting that cable at the consumer unit?

believe it or not ive opened the door on the fuse connector and there isnt even a fuse in the plastic cradle , what could this mean?

Do I need that fuse box for a single socket?
There surely is no point in feeding a single socket via an FCU, regardless of what MCB or fuse is protecting the circuit? The OP could simply change the existing FCU ('fuse box') into a single socket.

Kind Regards, John

Do I need that fuse box for a single socket?
There surely is no point in feeding a single socket via an FCU, regardless of what MCB or fuse is protecting the circuit? The OP could simply change the existing FCU ('fuse box') into a single socket.

Kind Regards, John

If the consumer unit has a higher rated MCB than it should then surelyva 13amp fcu is a pretty good weak point for a circuit even with just a single 20ish amp socket on? We don't know anything about the consumer unit so surely best to check before removing that weak link?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back