Electrical Supply for Shower Pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning All. Long time lurker first time poster. Just wanted to ask a quick question and would be grateful for any guidance that could be offered.

We have just moved into a new house, and have discovered the water pressure to the bath/shower is rather low. Whilst we intend on gutting the bathroom in the future, funds are currently a bit tight so I was thinking....

Within the bathroom is an airing cupboard with an existing spare single switched socket (although little extra space for anything else)... Under the bath about 2m away is sufficient space for a Salamander Impeller Pump with a 1m flex which I have from a previous life... is it be permissible or notifiable under Part P, and/or good practice, to either
a) swap the socket for a fused spur, use some 1.5mm FP200 to run under the floor to the void under the bath (not accessible without screwdriver), and, because I have no other idea, use a MK Masterseal 2G 13A RCD Socket to plug into, or b) leave the socket, get a plug in RCD, cut the plug off of the pump, crimp it etc etc

I am suspecting I know the answer already, but would appreciate any offers of advice so if it is not, and I speak to an electrician, I would feel more confident.

Secondly, does anyone know why, in my CU (not split), I would have 3 x 1.5mm L cables in a single 32A breaker that servers "sockets".

Many thanks in advance

Si

Sponsored Links
Can you replace the flex? If so run to sfc in airing cupboard. Yes it is reportable. Second question, get a sparks to look at cu, should'nt really be three 1.5 in 32A if feeding sockets. Try switching off and seeing what does'nt work.

I will not comment on Part P as not sure if where your working is considered as part of bathroom or not.

At to boosting pressure I think there are water board rules to abide to as if the pump was to cause a negative pressure on the supply it could draw in contaminates.

Where a shower pump is used it is supplied from the open vented reservoir or cold water tank. It also has some non return valves and pressure receiver so it is only switched on when required. Or it is part of the mixer tap.

I have seen in flats in Algiers pumps to supply the upper floors and I would expect one could get same here but I would suspect there would be some pressure switches to prevent negative pressure in supply.

Storing water to wash with is OK if either cold or over 55degC but not for drinking.

I have seen also circulation pumps which pump the hot water around in a circle so there is no delay when the hot tap is turned on and of course central heating pumps but with both systems there is somewhere for the water to go and all the time the pump is on the water is flowing. I would think if you prevent the water flowing the pump will over heat. So again sensors of some type will be required.

So question must be asked why is the pressure low?

Many thanks for your replies.

Will look at rewiring the pump and get a spark to certify the alterations in the airing cupboard.

Will put load on a couple of the plugs and run a clamp meter round the cables to see if I can identify whether someone has tried to wire a spur onto an existing breaker. Failing that, I will turn off the CU and remove a cable at a time to see what doesn't come back up.

Ok, misphrased the reason why. Mains pressure is fine into the house, although the bath/shower attachment is rather poor. I suspect its clogged pipes as it only effects the bath, and will have it looked into when the room is replumbed, but for the intervening time, I need something to 'pacify' the Missus who is missing her old power shower...

Thanks again.

Si

Sponsored Links
Mains pressure is fine into the house, although the bath/shower attachment is rather poor. I suspect its clogged pipes as it only effects the bath, and will have it looked into when the room is replumbed,

If you have a cold water tank in the loft then you probably do not have enough head of water above the bath. Nothing to do with clogged pipes.

IMHO, its better to invest in a combi boiler or a Pressurised System (eg Megaflo) and ditch the gravity feed part.

Power showers are very inefficient and they use more water than it takes to fill your bath in less than five minutes. [

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back