electrical testing

Sponsored Links
So if you join neutral to earth through a very small resistance it is easy for between 15 and 30 mA or more to flow from neutral (and not in the live), ie enough to trip the RCD.
Er, the current imbalance is caused by a lower value in the neutral than in the live, at the RCD.

you'll have to explain how your coment relates to the one you quoted from BS3036.. I don't see the correlation...

Sponsored Links
Er, the current imbalance is caused by a lower value in the neutral than in the live, at the RCD.
Wow! Where did you get that from? It's a difference between line and neutral - any difference over 15-30A. Do you know how an RCD works?

are you feeling confrontational tonight Goldberg? you seem to be being awkward for the sake of it..
it's an accepted manner of asking for clarification by saying " you'll have to explain because I don't understand", meaning that if you wish me to understand then I will require further explanation..

so just to please you..
would you mind explaining how your comment relates to the one made by BS3036 that you quoted, as I don't see the correlation between the quote and your reply..?

I believe that was aimed at Goldberg and not at you so don't take it personally..
unless you are Goldbergs alter ego..

EDIT: great.. now I look crazy for answering to a post that you deleted... :rolleyes: ;)

It's a difference between line and neutral - any difference over 15-30A.
In the context of this topic, more current is flowing in the live than in the neutral, whereas you said that "it is easy for between 15 and 30 mA or more to flow from neutral (and not in the live), ie enough to trip the RCD".

Since the words "and not in the live" mean that you thought less was flowing in the live, which is clearly not the case here, it's also clear that you got it the wrong way around.

While I'm here, it would probably help any novices reading this if you'd stick to using either "line" or "live" when referring to the phase conductor, instead of flicking between the two terms.

actually, in the context of the OP, there is 0A flowing in the live of the circuit as it is switched off at the breaker..
the 15-30mA flowing from the neutral to earth would be returning from other circuits and "back feed" the fault..

BS3036's comment was based on the individual circuit at the fault, whereas yours is based on the RCD feeding all the circuits..
both are correct..

While I'm here, it would probably help any novices reading this if you'd stick to using either "line" or "live" when referring to the phase conductor, instead of flicking between the two terms.

Who are you, a policeman?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back