Electricity Pole in my garden and the green cable that runs up the side

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There's been an electricity pole at the edge of my garden for decades. There's some nearby trees but the electricity board trims them back from time to time.

There's a green cable that runs up the side of the pole (the cable is only covered on the lower ten feet or so by black cable trunking, above that it's exposed), the green cable is about half an inch in diameter.

On looking at the pole today (first time I've inspected it, I rarely pay any attention to it but was doing some bramble clearing) I see that one of these green cables is slightly 'dented' about 15 feet up (the 'dent' is less than an inch long), in the sense that it looks like it's been repeatedly hit or worn by a thin tree branch. As there are no branches near it now this must have happened some years ago.

I can't see inside the 'dent' as such but it looks slightly cracked but only at the top, forming a slight 'overhang'.

Doesn't seem likely to cause a problem - the dent is still mostly intact so rain could barely get inside and even then it would need to be blowing upwards to do so.

Will it be bare wire immediately inside the green cable cover or will there be another layer of insulation within the green cable?

Sponsored Links
Photo?

Also it's problems (unless you are affected by them) are nothing to do with you, if you suspect an issue take a good quality photo and send it to the pole owner.

Am already planning on contacting the electricity board, was just curious if it sounded like a potential problem.

I'll see if I can get a photo but due to the height it's possibly going to be tricky (I don't have a long enough ladder).

Sponsored Links
I'll see if I can get a photo but due to the height it's possibly going to be tricky (I don't have a long enough ladder).

Even if you did, best not to put a ladder on an electricity pole.

If you can see it with your naked eyes, you can take a photo from the same position.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back