Electricity supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anybody help with any information.

I'm looking into buying a somewhat remote property in the Highlands. At present it has no electricity. Nearest civilisation i.e. wired into the national grid is about three miles away. What are my options? Can anybody point me in a direction.
Water supply is from a bore hole, to a septic tank. Not sure if this is relevant.
I'm guessing that running cable from the grid is going to cost more than the house, but don't really know. Any advice anyone???

Sponsored Links
most of that kit seems way oversized and will be very expensive to run

i would say if you do end up off grid the best bet is to minimise electricity consumption that is use oil or bottled gas for all space heating and hot water and cooking applications (except the microwave if you really wan't one)

i would say its possible to run a house on 3KW if you are carefull and definately on 6KW

Sponsored Links
plugwash said:
most of that kit seems way oversized and will be very expensive to run
Oh don't be so serious.... ;)

Anyway - if you think that's expensive, wait 'til the quote for a 3-mile connection to Scottish Power comes in....

he said 3mile to the nearest house - not cable!!

coud be an 11,000 cable running past his door :)

we had a 3ph supply upgrade quote from the rec.

100amp single phase to 150amp 3phase, supply was to a farm on top of a hill (approx 2 miles of overhead 11kv poles).

They had to string another 11kv on to the poles, change tranny, change service cable, head, ct metering......£50,000.

We installed a 120amp 3phase genny for use during the day at the farm, while they save up (and try to get a grant) for the supply upgrade.

Very recent inquiry, 11,000 volt line outside front door.
To install 100kva transformer onto pole + 70m cable you dig your own
trench quoted eleven thousand pounds.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back