Electricity to outbuilding workshop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking for some advice before I get in an electrician.

I am having a workshop built at the bottom of my garden which will be approximately 15m from the house. I want to have a consumer board installed in the workshop as I will be running bench saw, lathe etc (though not all at the same time). The electricity enters the house into the living room to the house consumer unit. I want to run cable from here, down the side of the house, through the garden and to the shed, as under the floorboards is not an option.

Will I be running armoured cable from the house to the workshop, and can it go around the house in trunking of some sort or must it go underground / overhead? The issue I have is that between the driveway at the side of the house and the garden there is a quite newly laid patio! (Why didn't I think of this before??) Once i am at the lawn there is no problem burying the cable.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. I will get an electrician in but I just wanted to sound it out first.

John

Sponsored Links
Johnny

Sorry to be blunt with the reply.

This question gets asked every day on this forum.

Why don't you use the search feature and type in "electricity to outbuilding"

All the answers you need will then be revealed.

But as a brief follow on: you will need a registered electrician to do this work and notify the work for you. You do not have the skills and it is a legal requirement.

He/she will determine what type of cable you need, how it will be run, how deep a trench you'll have to dig, etc. Then install everything, test and certify it.

You best route is to
1. Make list of everything you need to run in the outbuilding and their power requirements.
2. Go to www.competentperson.co.uk and find three local electricians
3. Get them round (not at the same time) to give you quotes

Thanks for the replies.

I realise that this is asked a lot but having trawled through forums for the past 2 days I can't find the answer - all I was asking for was some advice!

As for the work, I stated I intend to get an electrician and was just sounding out for advice!

Thanks anyway

Sponsored Links
You need to work out the total load and future load of your workshop and your cable size can be worked out from there.

Thanks for the replies.

I realise that this is asked a lot but having trawled through forums for the past 2 days I can't find the answer - all I was asking for was some advice!
Indeed you did and the advice has been given - it won't be changed.
The person issuing the Electrical Installation Certificate is the one who will take responsibility for the design, installation and testing of the new circuit - not us not you unless you intend to notify your Local Authority Building Control and complete the work yourself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back