electrics in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone tell me what the reasoning is behind the non use of conventional light switches in bathrooms? What is it that makes pull cord ones ok?

So what are the regs (in simple terms) on electrics in bathrooms??

Sponsored Links
Can someone tell me what the reasoning is behind the non use of conventional light switches in bathrooms? What is it that makes pull cord ones ok?
The fact that you can use them in tiny bathrooms which are so small that they don't have any walls in a suitable zone for switches.

So what are the regs (in simple terms) on electrics in bathrooms??
Here they are many and varied, and far from simple.

But as you seem not to have noticed, this is the "Electrics UK" forum and you are not in the UK, so asking what the regulations are in foreign countries won't do you much good.

A normal switch can be made wet by condensation, spray and splashes of wet hands. This could result in the wet sirface of the switch becoming live resulting in electric shock for anyone touching the switch. A shock which could be fatal or cause serious injury if the person is on a wet floor or touching somethn that is earthed.

The pull cord even if damp reduces the risk of electrical shock.

Sponsored Links
If the bathroom is big enough and on an RCD, it might be possible to install a conventional light switch. (Modern pull switches tend to be very noisy.)

In the UK, changing the type of light switch in a bathroom would be notifiable to local Building Control.

As far as the U.K. is concerned, contrary to commonly held belief the I.E.E. Wiring Regs. have never had an absolute prohibition on regular wall switches in bathrooms - They just have to be suitably placed. It might not be possible to do that within some of our postage-stamp sized bathrooms though, which is probably why pullcord switches pretty much became the accepted convention in the first place. (And also as far as the U.K. is concerned, the I.E.E. Regs. have never been mandatory anyway.)

If the bathroom is big enough and on an RCD, it might be possible to install a conventional light switch. (Modern pull switches tend to be very noisy.)
In the UK, prior to July 2008, switches on the walls were allowed in Zone 3. From July 2008 they are allowed outside Zone 2.

At no time was an RCD a prerequisite.

In the UK, changing the type of light switch in a bathroom would be notifiable to local Building Control.
Not so.

The 17th edition specifies RCD protection for all circuits in a bathroom. There was no RCD requirement for a lighting circuit prior to that.

Where does 7.2.5 say that if the bathroom is big enough and on an RCD, it might be possible to install a conventional light switch?

You said that, BAS, and I'm not disputing it.

In the UK, prior to July 2008, switches on the walls were allowed in Zone 3. From July 2008 they are allowed outside Zone 2.

I just quoted the on-site guide about the RCD as it uses the vague word "locations" and I might have misunderstood. For instance, if you have an en-suite shower in an alcove without a door, how far does the 'location with a shower' extend?

My reasoning was that if anything outside zone 2 is not part of the "locations with a bath or shower" and both the light and switch are outside zone 2, there might not be a requirement for an RCD. However, if the light is within zone 2 but the switch is outside zone 2 then an RCD would be required.

ajrobb";p="1898942 said:
Where does 7.2.5 say that if the bathroom is big enough and on an RCD, it might be possible to install a conventional light switch?

You said that, BAS, and I'm not disputing it.

I just quoted the on-site guide about the RCD as it uses the vague word "locations" and I might have misunderstood. For instance, if you have an en-suite shower in an alcove without a door, how far does the 'location with a shower' extend?

My reasoning was that if anything outside zone 2 is not part of the "locations with a bath or shower" and both the light and switch are outside zone 2, there might not be a requirement for an RCD. However, if the light is within zone 2 but the switch is outside zone 2 then an RCD would be required.

This is important to me as I have a long skinny bathroom to reconfigure. I want to split it into two rooms, one with bath and toilet and another with a basin and dressing table. If I don't put a door on the end room (but still use the partition for running pipes) then, as far as I can tell, zone 2 wraps around the partition like a 600mm piece of string attached to the edge of the bath.

Sponsored Links
Back