Electrics in South Africa

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently moved from the UK to South Africa and brought all my things here with me. Now I didn't think there'd be a problem using my things here (TV, computers, kitchen appliances etc) but I'm not so sure now.

Over the past few months I've lost a laptop, my pc (both 18 months old) and my coffee machine (which admittedly was a couple of years old and I know they don't last well) and a drill. So I'm just REALLY concerned now - not sure if it was pure coincidence or if I should take some action / precautionary measures?

I've spoken to 2 electrician here(and one of them apparently checked the electrics in the house & circuit board) and they reckon it shouldn't be any problem at all - but why are my things dying??

I've used the adaptor plugs where I can but should I just cut off the plugs and change them to the SA plugs? Again, electricians here reckon it makes absolutely no difference but I'm just not convinced any more....

Sponsored Links
While travel adaptors are often low quality that is almost certainly isn't the source of the problems with your appliances.

My bet would be that something in the local power network is causing surges that are frying your equipment. The first step I would take would be to get some good quality british surge protected extension leads and change the plugs on them. Use these to power all your appliances.

Sponsored Links
Thanks! Will try that. Power supply here in SA isn't great and they randomly cut they power as they please (load shedding?) - no idea if this could have anything to do with it as well. But good thinking - I'll get some of those surge protectors.

One more question - is it totally OK to just chop the UK plugs off and put SA ones on (to avoid using those adaptors)? We don't have fuses in plugs here though...

One more question - is it totally OK to just chop the UK plugs off and put SA ones on (to avoid using those adaptors)? We don't have fuses in plugs here though...

Fuses aren't needed in the plugs because the socket outlets should be adequately protected at the distribution board, so just replacing a BS1363 13A plug with a BS546 15A plug is fine.

Thats pretty strange,ive been here 5months and i havent had any problems touch wood,only downside is having to use the travel adaptors.

where abouts are you in south africa?

Hi StelleElectrical. I'm in Durban.
May I ask why you're not replacing the UK plugs with SA plugs (and using travel adaptors)?

I'or that caed it to malfunction. But the reason for tthat caued it to malfunction. But the reason for that cannot be explained. Quality graphics card - 18 months old.

Now my brand new laptop (a Sony Vaio - which so far - and touch wood) is functioning fine, has one problem I've never experienced. And I've just started looking into how to resolve this. If you have any insight or advice on this, please feel free to share!
Basically, I'm getting static noise inteference through my headphones when it's plugged into the mains. I've found this handy thread on a forum elsewhere - it seems a common problem. But I'm yet again wondering if it's anything to do with the electrics in the house?!

Havent got round to changing them yet,have you thought about getting your electrics checked to double check what voltage ur getting?
im not sure why your headphones are making that noise will be interesting to see whats causing it.

Scott

Shucks sorry for the horrendous spelling & grammar in that second paragraph. My pc is still not entrirely happy (need to get new graphics card really as onboard graphics aren't sufficient) and it's causing lag & my screen to jump.
Anyway - have had an electrician here twice already. Perhaps he doesn't know what he's doing??
Will let you know if I resolve the headphone noise interference when connected to the main (note: running on battery is no problem).

does the noise happen no matter what plug you use?this might sound abit strange maybe try them at a friends house see if the noise is there,other then that im not sure sorry about that.

Sponsored Links
Back